Departmental Undergraduate Scholarships
Each spring the English Department awards several undergraduate scholarships. For these competitively-selected awards, students submit application materials, including a sample of critical writing, which was reviewed by a committee of faculty members.
The next call for applications will be announced in February 2020, with a deadline for applications in late March.
The new UWM Scholarship portal, to find all scholarship and awards, is available at; https://uwm.academicworks.com/
The Ruth B. Skretting-Bertschi Scholarship:
The Skretting-Bertschi Scholarship is an award of $1,000 given to outstanding undergraduate students in English. This fund was established in 2006 in support of a scholarship in English in memory of Ruth B. Skretting-Bertschi, an alumna of the English department.
- 2015 Awardee: Jack Ceschin
- 2016 Awardees: Jack Ceschin, Lauren Lisak, Grace O’Neill, Madison Rose Williams
- 2017 Awardees: Katherine Casey, Bailey Flannery, Morgan Lipinski, Bijan Salamati
- 2018 Awardees: Kyle Battle, Alice Johnson
- 2019 Awardees: Amy Blank, Wesley Edens, Sarah Emmerson, Bailey Flannery, Andrew McKee, Tori Tran, and Dominque Wilkerson
The Elizabeth Babbitt Memorial Scholarship:
The Babbitt Scholarship was established in 1972 by the family of Elizabeth Babbitt, an alumna of the English Department. Competitively selected awards of $1,000 are granted annually, with preference given to English majors in their first two years of undergraduate study who have demonstrated financial need.
- 2015 Awardees: Kristiana Perleberg, Bryce Stevenson
- 2016 Awardees: Esmé Barniskis, Kathryn Skjoldager
- 2017 Awardees: Elliott Baas, Jennifer Johnston, Adam Piwoni
- 2018 Awardees: Bailey Flannery, Alyssa Sarenac, Morissa Young
- 2019 Not Presented
Dr. Donna Decker Scholarship (two $1,000 scholarships available)
The Decker awards were established in 2017 by the family and friends of Dr. Donna Decker, a former instructor in the Journalism, Advertising and Media Studies (JAMS) Department. Dr. Decker’s love of literature is reflected in the joint scholarship with the English Department. Awards are given to Junior or Senior full-time students with declared majors in either English or JAMS who have shown academic merit (GPA of 3.5 or higher).
- 2018 Awardees: Bailey Flannery, and Hugo Ljungbäck.
- 2019 Awardees: Desiree DiBerardino
For additional information, please contact the Department Chair, Gregory Jay (email@example.com).