Financial Resources

Resources for Tuition-Related Financial Questions

This page provides graduate students with a centralized location for information about tuition-related financial questions. Consult the Graduate School’s website for the most up-to-date Graduate School policy information.  If you become concerned about changes in your tuition status or are planning for additional semesters to complete specific milestones in your study, contact the Associate Chair of Graduate Studies first for advice about departmental guidelines and policies and to learn about your options. Then you will be ready to contact your advisor or graduate plan Coordinator to develop a plan and timeline for completing your work.

Tuition & Fees – Separate listing for “Graduate Fee Schedule” and “Dissertator Fee Schedule” (for doctoral students who have attained “Dissertator Status”)


Residency for Tuition Purposes – Detailed explanation, link to state of Wisconsin statute concerning the special category of “residency for tuition purposes,” clarifying examples of what does and does not change initial residency status and contact information for ‘appeals specialist’ to help sort out specific situations that differ from those described on the webpage.


Residence Requirement for Doctoral Students (Graduate School policy) to clarify the difference between this requirement and “Residency for Tuition Purposes” (see above):


Department of Financial Aid, Student Employment, and Military Education:

You may contact Ashley Williams, Financial Aid Advisor, the point of contact for financial aid for graduate students at

For additional help to find appropriate contacts concerning financial aid and other services, you may also email the Graduate Student Services Coordinator in the Graduate School.


Non-Resident Tuition Remission (NRTR)

The NRTR waiver grants out-of-state students the ability to pay in-state tuition rates. To find out more about this program, its restrictions, and how to apply, contact the English Department’s Associate Chair for Graduate Studies. Typically, applications for an NRTR are made only after an offer of admission.