Are you an international student looking to improve your English and get involved outside of class? Become an ELA Friends Volunteer!
Here in the English Language Academy, we understand that adjusting to a new language and culture can be challenging and intimidating. So, we provide different volunteer opportunities throughout the semester that provide many benefits to you as an international student in our programs.
Here are some of the benefits of volunteering with our ELA Friends Volunteer Program:
- Improve your English outside of your English language classes
- Meet new people – international and local, both students and community members
- Learn more about the culture here in Milwaukee and in the United States
- Gain volunteer experience that can build your professional experience and that can be used on your resume*
(*Please note: Our English Language Academy Academic Assistant Director – IEP, Lindsey Hill, is willing to write recommendation letters for international students that are active and consistent participants in the ELA Friends Volunteer Program events.)
Some volunteer opportunities in the past include:
- Giving out candy at the Milwaukee Public Museum Halloween Celebration
- Being an usher at a local Milwaukee theater for different plays
- Being a volunteer at Summerfest, the World’s Largest Music Festival
- Participating in Make A Difference Day – a day set outside once a semester to help local community members with different needs, such as cleaning up their yards
These are just some of the many different opportunities that we participate in, and each semester we are always looking for new and different opportunities to add to our list.