Wisconsin Science Olympiad State Tournament
April 6-7, 2018
Hosted by UWM in 2018, the Wisconsin Science Olympiad is the largest STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) team competition in North America! Over 1,500 talented middle and high school STEM students attended the event.
The Wisconsin Science Olympiad will return to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in 2020; in 2019 it will be held at the University of Wisconsin-Stout.
Scholarship Opportunity! In support of the Wisconsin Science Olympiad mission, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee College of Engineering & Applied Science is making available scholarships to eligible Wisconsin Science Olympiad participants. They are valued at a total potential of $20,000 over the course of four years. Learn more
Thank you to students and faculty members of UWM’s College of Engineering & Applied Science for presenting these exciting events on Friday, April 6, 2018:
9:00 am – 3:30 pm – STEM Expo. Click for latest schedule. STEM Activities throughout the UWM campus include classroom and lab visits, special hands-on workshops, presentations and facility tours.
College of Engineering & Applied Science activities include:
- Get energized with UWM’s Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers student chapter as they present, “Electrifying Times with IEEE.” You’ll get a charge out of it! (12-12:50 pm; 2-2:50 pm, EMS W270)
- Take the pulse on the latest medical research at the Joint Biomedical Seminar, a talk that bring together problem solvers from several of our region’s institutions for some healthy discussion. (12-1 pm, EMS E250)
- Set your sights on Civil Engineering – join college students in a Surveying Lab course period as they learn to read the true lay of the land. (12:30-2:20 pm, EMS E170)
- Explore the College of Engineering & Applied Science Building with an EMS (Engineering & Mathematical Science) building tour. (12:30 and 2 pm; begins in UN Ballroom)
- Student Research Talk by Shima Mehrvar: “Optical Imaging of Diabetic Wounds: A Medical Innovation through Electrical Engineering.” (1-1:20 pm; Bolton Hall B52)
- Test your metal in the UWM Engineering Foundry – feel the glow as student leaders guide you in preparing your own mold for casting molten metal. (1-2 pm, EMS W365)
- Experience Pipe Dreams: Learn About Water System Design with Engineers Without Borders. Meet students who travel the world to make a difference. (3-3:50 pm UN 280)
- Student Research Talk by Nabila Rubaiya: “Comparison Between Serrated and Notched Serrated Fin Performance.” (3:15 pm; Bolton Hall B52).
STEM Exhibit Hall (Noon – 3:30 pm in the Union Ballroom): Meet our College of Engineering & Applied Science students and grab some cool swag!
- Campus tours (UW-Milwaukee)
- Social time
4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
- Opening Ceremony
- Keynote Presentation: Schlitz Audubon Nature Center Raptor Show with live birds of prey
Saturday, April 7
7:00 am – 9:00 am – Registration
7:45 am – 3:15 pm
- Wisconsin Science Olympiad Competitions (student teams)
- Sponsor Networking and Competitions
4:00 pm – 5:30 pm – Awards Ceremony