Krishna Pillai Ph.D.
To learn more about Krishna Pillai, visit his website.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Delaware, 1997
- M.Tech., Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, 1991
- B.Tech., Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, 1988
- Flow and transport in porous media (Modeling liquid motion through fiber bed during processing of polymer- and metal-matrix composites).
- Wicking of liquids in rigid as well as swelling porous substrates.
- Evaporation of multicomponent liquids.
- Computational fluid mechanics and heat transfer.
- Rheology of polymers.
1a Books and Monographs
- “Wicking in Porous Materials: Traditional and Modern Modeling Approaches,” edited by Reza Masoodi and Krishna.M. Pillai, CRC Press, ISBN 978-1-43-987432-5, Oct 2012.
1b Book Chapters
- “Green composites made from cellulose nanofibers and bio-based epoxy: processing, performance and applications,” Bamdad Barari and Krishna M. Pillai, in Natural Fibre-reinforced Biodegradable and Bioresorbable Polymer Composites, edited by Alan Lau, Elsevier, ISBN: 9780081006566, expected date: Sep 2017.
- “Characterization and Processing of Nanocellulose Thermosetting Composites,” Ronald C. Sabo, Rani F. El-Hajjar, Craig M. Clemons, Krishna M. Pillai, in Handbook of Polymer Nanocomposites. Processing, Performance and Application: Volume C: Polymer Nanocomposites of Cellulose Nanoparticles, edited by Jitendra K. Pandey, Hitoshi Takagi, Antonio N. Nakagaito and Hyun-Joong Kim, Springer-Verlag, ISBN 9783642452321, 2014.
- “Advanced Processing Techniques for Composite Materials for Structural Applications,” Rani El-Hajjar, Hua Tan and K.M. Pillai, in Developments in fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites for civil engineering, edited by N. Uddin, Woodhead Publishing limited, ISBN 978-0-85709-234-2, 2013.
- “Modeling the Processing of Natural Fiber Composites made using Liquid Composites Molding,” R. Masoodi and K.M. Pillai, Handbook of Bioplastics and Biocomposites, Engineering Applications, edited by Dr. Srikanth Pilla, Publisher: Wiley-Scrivener, ISBN 978 0-470-62607-8, 2011.
- “Processing Polymer Matrix Composites for Blast Protection,” Hua Tan and Krishna M. Pillai, in Blast protection of civil infrastructures and vehicles using composites, edited by N. Uddin, Woodhead Publishing limited and CRC Press LLC, CRC Press, ISBN 978-1-4398-2771-0, 2010.
1c Journal Papers
- “Spontaneous Imbibition of Liquid in Glass fiber Wicks, Part II: Validation of a Diffuse-front Models,” M.A.F. Zarandi and K.M. Pillai,AIChE Journal, accepted for publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aic.15856
- “Pressure Infiltration Process to Synthesize Metal Matrix Composites- A Review of Metal Matrix Composites, the Technology and Process Simulation,” R. Etemadi, B. Wang, K.M. Pillai, B. Niroumand, E. Omrani and P. Rohatgi, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, accepted for publication.http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2017.1328122
- “Modeling drying in thin porous media after coupling pore-level drying dynamics with external flow field,” Z. Xu and K.M. Pillai, Drying Technology, v 35, n 7, pp 785-801, 2017.
- “Analyzing slow drying in a porous medium placed adjacent to laminar air flow using a pore-network model,” Z. Xu and K.M. Pillai, Numerical Heat Transfer; Part A: Applications, v 70, n 11, pp 1213-1231, 2016.
- "Mechanical, Physical and Tribological Characterization of Nano-Cellulose Fibers Reinforced Bio-Epoxy Composites: An Attempt to Fabricate and Scale the 'Green' Composite", Bamdad Barari, Emad Omrani, Afsaneh Dorri Moghadam, Pradeep L. Menezes, Krishna M. Pillai, Pradeep K. Rohatgi, Carbohydrate Polymers, v 147, pp 282-93, Aug 20, 2016.
- “Achieving the inside-outside coupling during network simulation of isothermal drying of a porous medium in a turbulent flow,” S. Beyhaghi, Z. Xu and K.M. Pillai, Transport in Porous Media, v 114, n 3, pp. 823-842, Sep 2016.
- “Mechanical Characterization of Scalable Cellulose Nano-Fiber Based Composites made using Liquid Composite Molding Process,” B. Barari, T.K. Ellingham, I.I. Qamhia, K.M. Pillai, R. Al-Hajjar, L.-S. Turng and R. Sabo, Composites Part B, v 84, pp 277-284, 2016.
- “Mechanical and tribological properties of self-lubricating bio-based carbon fabric epoxy composites made using liquid composite molding,” E. Omrani, B. Barari, A. D. Moghadam, K. M. Pillai, and P. Rohatgi,Tribology International, v 92, pp 222–232, December 2015.
- “Liquid flow in polyurethane foams for filtration applications: A study on their characterization and permeability estimation,” S. Gunashekar, K.M. Pillai, B.C. Church, N.H. Abu-Zahra, Journal of PorousMaterials, Volume 22, Issue 3, pp 749–759, June 2015.
- “Search for a ‘Green’ Composite Material: An Attempt to Fabricate Cellulose Nano-Fiber Composites using Liquid Composite Molding,” B. Barari and K. M. Pillai, Journal of the Indian Institute of Science, v 95:3, Jul.-Sep. 2015, journal.iisc.ernet.in
- “On Porosity Formation in Metal Matrix Composites made with Dual-Scale Fiber Reinforcements using Pressure Infiltration Process,” R. Etemadi, K.M. Pillai, P.K. Rohatgi, S.A. Hamidi, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Volume 46, Issue 5, Pages 2119-2133, 2015.
1d Peer-Reviewed Papers in Conference Proceedings
- “Mechanical Testing of Scalable Cellulose Nano-fiber based Composites made using LCM Process,” B. Barari, T. K. Ellingham, I. I. Qamhia, K. M. Pillai, R. El-Hajjar, Lih-Sheng Turng, R. Sabo, Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Composites Materials (19th ICCM), Montreal, Canada, July 28- Aug 2, 2013.
- “An experimental estimation of Liquid Absorption Coefficient for Cellulose Nano-Fiber Films,” A. Javadi, K.M. Pillai and R. Sabo, Proceedings of 11th International Conference on Flow Processes in Composite Materials (FPCM11), Auckland, New Zealand, July 9-12, 2012.
- “Investigation of Resin Flow in Woven (Dual-Scale) Jute Fabrics through the Two-Color Experiment,” R. Masoodi, A. Javadi and K.M. Pillai, Proceedings of 11th International Conference on Flow Processes in Composite Materials (FPCM11), Auckland, New Zealand, July 9-12, 2012.
- “Numerical Simulation of Pressure Infiltration Process for Making Metal Matrix Composites: Effect of Process Parameters,” B. Wang and K.M. Pillai, in CPE: Science and Engineering of Light Metal Matrix Nanocomposites and Composites, the proceedings of 2012 TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition, held in Orlando, Florida, March 11-15, 2012.
- “An Experimental Study on Swelling of Cellulose Nano-Fiber Films in Epoxy Resins and Water,” R. Masoodi, A. Javadi and K.M. Pillai, R. Sabo, 2011 Spring SAMPE Technical Conference and Exhibition – State of the Industry: Advanced Materials, Applications, and Processing Technology, International SAMPE Technical Conference, 2011.
- “An Experimental Study on Crack Propagation in Green Composites made from Cellulose Nanofibers and Epoxy,” R. Masoodi, R.E. El-Hajjar, K.M. Pillai, A. Javadi, and R. Sabo, 2011 Spring SAMPE Technical Conference and Exhibition – State of the Industry: Advanced Materials, Applications, and Processing Technology, International SAMPE Technical Conference, 2011.
- "Evaporation of a Non-Dilute, Multi-Component Liquid Mixture from a Porous Wick", S. Beyhaghi, K.M. Pillai, D.T. Qadah and M.L. Dietz, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Porous Media and its Applications in Science and Engineering (ICPM3), Montecatini, Italy, June 20-25, 2010.