- Adjunct Instructor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Charles S. “Steve” Melching is a nationally and internationally recognized expert on hydraulic, hydrologic, and water quality modeling. In his 30+ year career he has been a professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Marquette University and Rutgers University and a hydrologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. He has worked on a wide variety of hydrologic and water quality studies in Illinois, Wisconsin, and 11 other states as well as Belgium, Canada, and China.
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1987
- MS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1983
- BS, Arizona State University, 1981
- Water-Quality Modeling and Management for Rivers and Lakes
- Surface Water Hydrologic Modeling
- Uncertainty and Sensitivity Analyses of Hydrologic and Water Quality Models
- Watershed Management
- Erosion and Sediment Transport
- Melching, C.S., 2018. “Application of a water quality model to determine instream aeration station location and operational rules: A case study,” Water Science and Engineering, 11(1), 8-17.
- Melching, C.S., 2016. “Appropriate limits on discretionary diversion to the Chicago Waterways,” River Flow 2016, Constantinescu, G., Garcia, M., and Hanes, D., eds., St. Louis, July 12-14, 2016, Taylor & Francis Group, London, 201-208.
- Wang, Z.Y., Melching, C.S., Yi, Y., and Wang, R.Y., 2017. Professional English—for Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University Press, Beijing.
- Liang, J. and Melching, C.S., 2015. “Experimental evaluation of the effect of storm movement on peak discharge,” International Journal of Sediment Research, 30(2), 167-177.
- Melching, C.S., Liang, J., Fleer L.A., and Wethington, D.M., 2015. “Modeling the water quality impacts of the separation of the Great Lakes and Mississippi River Basins for invasive species control,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, 45(2015), 87-98.
- Liang, S., Jia, H., Yang, C., Melching, C.S., 2015. “A pollutant load hierarchical allocation method integrated in an environmental capacity management system for Zhushan Bay, Taihu Lake,” Science of the Total Environment, 533(2015), 223-237.
- Wang, Z.Y., Lee, J.H.W., and Melching, C.S., 2014. River Dynamics and Integrated River Management, Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, and Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Melching, C.S., Ao, Y., and Alp, E., 2013. “Modeling evaluation of integrated strategies to meet proposed dissolved oxygen standards for the Chicago Waterway System,” Journal of Environmental Management, 116(2013), 145-155.
- Missaghi, S., Hondzo, M., and Melching, C.S., 2013. “Three-dimensional lake water quality modeling: Sensitivity and uncertainty analyses,” Journal of Environmental Quality, 42, 1684-1698.
- Liang, J. and Melching, C.S., 2012. “Comparison of computed and experimentally assessed times of concentration for a v-shaped laboratory watershed,” Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 17(12), 1389-1396.
- Gyasi-Agyei, Y. and Melching, C.S., 2012. “Modelling the dependence and internal structure of storm events for continuous rainfall simulation,” Journal of Hydrology, 464-465(2012), 249-261.
- Alp, E. and Melching, C.S., 2011. “Allocation of supplementary aeration stations in the Chicago Waterway System for dissolved oxygen improvement, Journal of Environmental Management, 92, 1577-1583.
Awards, Honors and Societies
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Board Certified Environmental Engineer (by Eminence) 2013, American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists
- Diplomat, American Academy of Water Resources Engineers
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Outstanding Reviewer 2012, Journal of Environmental Engineering
- Marquette University, College of Engineering, 2008 Outstanding Researcher Award
- 2001 Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers—“For his research on uncertainty and reliability analysis in water resources and environmental engineering, including especially uncertainty in rainfall-runoff and stream water-quality modeling”
- 1988 Chester P. Seiss Civil Engineering Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement and Promise for Research, University of Illinois
Find Dr. Charles Melching's CV here.