Ranjan K Dash, Ph.D.
Medical College of Wisconsin and Marquette University
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Medical College of Wisconsin
Department of Physiology
Broad Research Interests:
- Computational Systems Biology and Bioengineering
- Molecular, Cellular, and Integrative Physiology
- Cardiac and Skeletal Muscle Metabolism
Specific Research Interests:
- Mathematical modeling and computer simulations of integrated physiological systems
- Computational methods and algorithms for data analysis and parameter estimation
- Microcirculatory oxygen and carbon dioxide transport/exchange and acid-base regulation
- Physiologically-based pharmacokinetic modeling for drug transport and metabolism
- Integrated blood-tissue species transport/exchange and cellular energy metabolism
- Mitochondrial calcium and reactive oxygen species homeostasis in cardiomyocytes
- Cardiomyocytes electrophysiology, calcium handling, and excitation-contraction coupling
- Modeling and analysis of large-scale biochemical networks, protein-protein interaction networks, and gene regulatory networks
- Postdoc., 2006, Computational Systems Biology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland
- Postdoc., 2003, Computational Systems Biology, University of Washington, Seattle
- Postdoc., 2000, Computational Biofluid Dynamics, Texas A&M University, College Station
- Ph.D., 1998, Computational Biofluid Dynamics, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India
- M.Sc., 1991, Applied Mathematics, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India
Dash, Ranjan K. (Principal Investigator); “Project III: Modeling of Mitochondrial and Cellular Function in Anesthetic Cardioprotection (PPG: Mechanisms of Anesthetic Cardioprotection)”; Sponsored by the NIH/NIGMS (March 1, 2015 – February 29, 2020); Program Director/Principal Investigator – Zeljko Bosnjak, Anesthesiology, MCW.
Dash, Ranjan K. (Principal Investigator); “Analyzing the Cardiac Power Grid: Adaptive Responses to Fluctuating Local Demand”; Sponsored by the NIH/NHLBI (September 15, 2015 – May 31, 2020); Program Director/Principal Investigator – James Bassingthwaighte, UW Seattle, WA.
Dash, Ranjan K. (Co-Principal Investigator); “Systems Biology Based Tools for Modeling Platelet Storage Lesion for Optimal Blood Transfusions”; Sponsored by CFD Research Corporation-US Army (DOD) SBIR Phase II Project (September 26, 2016 – January 25, 2019); Principal Investigator – Andrzej Przekwas, CFD Research Corporation, Huntsville, AL.
Dash, Ranjan K. (Co-Principal Investigator); “Predictive Computational Modeling to Define Antiviral Efficacy”; Sponsored by Research and Education Program (REP) of Advancing Healthier Wisconsin (AHW) Endowment (February 1, 2017 – January 31, 2019); Principal Investigator – Scott Terhune, Microbiology and Immunology, MCW.
Dash, Ranjan K. (Principal Investigator); “Cations and ROS in Modulating Mitochondrial Function in Normal and Ischemic Hearts”; Sponsored by the NIH/NHLBI (April 1, 2010 – March 31, 2015); Co-Principal Investigator – Amadou Camara, Anesthesiology, MCW.
Dash, Ranjan K. (Co-Principal Investigator); “Database-Enabled Tools for Regulatory Metabolic Networks”; Sponsored by NSF Biological Database and Informatics (August 1, 2009 – July 31, 2012); Principal Investigator – Meral Ozsoyoglu, CWRU Cleveland, OH.
Dash, Ranjan K. (Principal Investigator); “Computational Modeling of Mitochondrial Energetics”; Sponsored by AHA National Affiliate (July 1, 2007 – June 30, 2011).
Current Laboratory Members:
- Dr. Neeraj Manhas, Postdoctoral Fellow (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr. Namrata Tomar, Postdoctoral Fellow (Email: email@example.com)
- Dr. Yongwoon Jung, Postdoctoral Fellow (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr. Sunil Kandel, Postdoctoral Fellow (Email: email@example.com)
- Mr. Xiao Zhang, Graduate Student (Email: Xiao.Zhang@marquette.edu)
- Ms. Shima Sadri, Graduate Student (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Selected Recent Publications:
- Zhang X, Dash RK#, Jacobs ER, Camara AKS, Clough AV, and Audi SH#. Integrated computational model of the bioenergetics of isolated lung mitochondria. PLoS One 13(6):e0197921, 2018. [# Equal Contributions for Senior Authorships].
- Korman B, Dash RK, and Peyton PJ. Can mathematical modeling explain the measured magnitude of the second gas effect? Anesthesiology 128(6): 1075-1083, 2018.
- Pannala VR, Camara AKS, and Dash RK. Modeling the detailed kinetics of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase: Catalytic mechanism and nitric oxide inhibition. J Appl Physiol, 121: 1196-1207, 2016.
- Ranji M, Salehpour F, Motlagh MM, Sepehr R, Heisner JS, Dash RK, and Camara AKS. Optical cryoimaging reveals a heterogeneous distribution of mitochondrial redox states in the ex vivo guinea pig heart and its alteration during ischemia and reperfusion. IEEE J Trans Eng Health Med 4:1800210, 2016.
- Blomeyer CA, Bazil JN, Stowe DF, Dash RK, and Camara AKS. Mg2+ differentially regulates two modes of mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake in isolated cardiac mitochondria: Implications for mitochondria Ca2+ J Bioenerg Biomemb 48(3):175-178, 2016.
- Dash RK, Korman B, and Bassingthwaighte JB. Simple accurate mathematical models of blood HbO2 and HbCO2 dissociation curves at varied physiological conditions – Evaluation and comparison with other mathematical models. Eur J Appl Physiol, 116(1): 97-113, 2016.
- Salehpour F, Ghanian Z, Yang C, Zhelezenova N, Kurth T, Dash RK, Cowley AW Jr, Ranji M. Effects of p67phox on the mitochondrial oxidative state in the kidney of Dahl salt-sensitive rats: Optical fluorescence 3D cryoimaging. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 309(4): 377-382, 2015.
- Tewari SG, Zhou Y, Otto BJ, Dash RK, Kwok WM, and Beard DA. Markov chain Monte Carlo based analysis of post-translationally modified VDAC gating kinetics. Front Physiol 5:513, 2015.
- Pannala VR and Dash RK. Mechanistic characterization of the thioredoxin system in the removal of hydrogen peroxide. Free Radic Biol Med 78:42-55, 2015.
- Bazil JN, Pannala VR, Dash RK, and Beard DA. Determining the origins of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide in the mammalian NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase. Free Radic Biol Med 77: 121-129, 2014.
- Tewari SG, Camara AKS, Stowe DF, and Dash RK. Computational analysis of Ca2+ dynamics in isolated cardiac mitochondria predicts two distinct modes of Ca2+ uptake. J Physiol 592(9): 1917-1930, 2014.
- Pannala VR, Bazil JN, Camara AKS, and Dash RK. A mechanistic mathematical model for the catalytic action of glutathione peroxidase. Free Radic Res 48(4): 487-502, 2014.
- Agarwal B, Dash RK, Stowe DF, Bosnjak ZJ, and Camara AKS. Isoflurane modulates cardiac mitochondrial bioenergetics by selectively attenuating respiratory complexes. Biochim Biophys Acta Bioenerg 1837(3): 354-365, 2014.
- Pannala VR, Bazil JN, Camara AKS, and Dash RK. A Biophysically-based mathematical model for the catalytic mechanism of glutathione reductase. Free Radic Biol Med 65: 1385-1397, 2013.
- Bazil JN, Blomeyer CA, Pradhan RK, Camara AKS, and Dash RK. Modeling the calcium sequestration system in isolated guinea pig cardiac mitochondria. J Bioenerg Biomembr 45(3): 177-188, 2013.
- Agarwal B, Camara AKS, Stowe DF, Bosnjak ZJ, and Dash RK. Enhanced charge-independent mitochondrial free Ca2+ and attenuated ADP-induced NADH oxidation by isoflurane: Implications for cardioprotection. Biochim Biophys Acta Bioenergetics 1817(3): 453-465, 2012.
- Pradhan RK, Qi F, Beard DA, and Dash RK. Characterization of Mg2+ inhibition of mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake by a mechanistic model of mitochondrial Ca2+ Biophys J 101(9): 2071-2081, 2011.
- Pradhan RK, Beard DA, and Dash RK. A biophysically-based mathematical model for the kinetics of mitochondrial Na+-Ca2+ Biophys J 98(2): 218-230, 2010.
Detailed Publications and Profiles:
(68 publications comprising of 63 original articles, 3 review articles, and 2 book chapters)
- MCW Faculty Collaboration Database
- NCBI MyBibliography
- NCBI PubMed
- Google Scholar
- Research Gate
- Frontiers Loop