Benjamin Church, Ph.D.
Dr. Church joined the UW-Milwaukee faculty after graduate school and working for Modine Manufacturing in Racine, Wis. as a technical advisor in the metallurgical lab. His real-world experience brings energy to his research interests, which include high-temperature materials for fuel cell systems and power generation. He has worked with low tech applications such as welding and brazing, as well as high tech solutions such as li-ion batteries for hybrid vehicles. A recipient of the College of Engineering & Applied Science “Excellence in Teaching” award in 2012, Dr. Church is active in several professional societies and is the faculty advisor for the UWM Chapter of Material Advantage. For more information about Dr. Church's research, please see his personal website.
- Ph.D. – Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2004
- M.S. – Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2002
- B.S. – Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1997
- Energy storage
- High temperature oxidation and corrosion
- Novel processing of metals, ceramics, and composites
- Physical metallurgy
- Thermal analysis of materials
- Thermodynamics; processing-structure-property relations
- Electron microscopy; and x-ray diffraction
Honors and Awards:
- ASM-International, Milwaukee Chapter, “Service Award”, 2013
- UWM College of Engineering and Applied Sciences “Excellence in Teaching” award, 2012
- A. Wanninayake, S. Gunashekar, S. Li, B. Church, N. Abu-Zahra, (2015) Performance and Morphology Analysis of P3HT/PC70BM-CuO Nanoparticle Hybrid Solar Cells. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering. doi: 10.1115/1.4029542
- Y. Sheng, C.R. Fell, Y K Son, B.M. Metz, J. Jiang, B.C. Church (2014) “Effect of Calendaring on Electrode Wettability in Lithium Ion Batteries” Frontiers in Energy Research 2:56. doi: 10.3389/fenrg.2014.00056
- B.C. Church, D.T. Kaminski, J. Jiang (2014) “Corrosion of aluminum electrodes in aqueous slurries for lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Materials Science (2014) Vol 49 (8): pp 3234-3241 doi:10.1007/s10853-014-8028-3.
- H.F. Lopez, H. Mendoza, B. Church. “High-Temperature Oxidation Resistance of a Nanoceria Spray-Coated 316L Stainless Steel Under Short-Term Air Exposure.” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A (2014) Vol 45: pp 1362-1370 doi:10.1007/s11661-013-2051-x.
- D. W. Lipke, Y. Zhang, Y. Liu, B. C. Church, K. H. Sandhage, “Near Net Shape/Net Dimension ZrC/W-based Composites with Complex Geometries via Rapid Prototyping and Displacive Compensation of Porosity (DCP),” J. Euro. Ceram. Soc., 30 (2010) pp. 2265-2277.
- Z. Bao, M.R. Weatherspoon, S. Shian, Y. Cia, P.D. Graham, S.M. Allan, G Ahmad, M.B. Dickerson, B.C. Church, Z. Kang, H.W. Abernathy III, C.J. Summers, L. Meilin, and K.H. Sandhage, (2007). “Chemical reduction of three-dimensional silica micro-assemblies into microporous silicon replicas,” Nature, 446 (7132) pp. 172-175.
- B.C. Church, T.H. Sanders, Jr., and R.F. Speyer, J.K. Cochran; “Thermal Expansion Matching and Oxidation Resistance of Fe-Ni-Cr Interconnect Alloys,” Materials Science and Engineering A vol .452-453 (2007) pp. 334-340.
- M.D. Trexler, B.C. Church, and T.H. Sanders, Jr.; "Determination of the Ni3(Ti,Al) Solvus Boundary in a Directionally Solidified Superalloy,” Scripta Materialia vol. 55 no. 6 (2006) pp. 561-564.
- G. Ahmad, M.B. Dickerson, B.C. Church, Y. Cai, S.E. Jones, R. R. Naik, J.S. King, C.J. Summers, N. Kröger, and K.H. Sandhage; "Rapid, Room-Temperature Formation of Crystalline Calcium Molybdate Phosphor Microparticles via Peptide-Induced Precipitation,” Advanced Materials vol. 18 (2006) pp. 1759-1763.
- Material Advantage – faculty advisor for the UWM student group in MSE.
- Certified private pilot