What are the application deadlines?

While CEAS has “rolling applications”, we recommend the following deadlines to assure a timely response for the requested semester:

  • Applications for Fall Semester due April 1st
  • Applications for Spring Semester due September 1st

More information can be found at http://www4.uwm.edu/bfs/depts/bursar/paws-obligations.cfm

These deadlines are independent of any funding or support a department may have to offer an applicant.

How to apply and what’s required?

Submit directly to the Graduate School

Completed Graduate School Application

One official copy of transcripts from all institutions that you attended to:

UWM Graduate School
P.O. Box 340
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0340

Reasons for Graduate Study Statement – Suggestions:

Begin your statement with your name and the program to which you are applying as a heading. Be precise.

Explain your reasons for pursuing graduate study; describe specific interests and your background in the field, list any relevant skills or training you have acquired, and list relevant academic awards or honors you have received

Pay the $56.00 non-refundable application fee

Letters of Recommendation

Letters of recommendation are not required but may be submitted for MS applicants. Two letters are required for PhD applicants. Letters should be academic or professional in nature, not personal, and should address your ability to do graduate work. Recommendations may be included with application materials or submitted directly to:

University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee
College of Engineering & Applied Science
Graduate Program Office- E379
P.O. Box 742
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0742

 What about International Students?

International students can find more information by visiting the Center for International Education’s website

Are GRE scores required?

Graduate Records Exam (GRE) is required for all domestic and international applicants except for those applying to the MS in Computer Science program. Have test results sent to UWM using code 1473, submit a copy to CEAS Graduate Programs Office or include a copy with application documents.

How do I check my application status?

Go to www.epantherid.uwm.edu to receive your ePantherID and activate your account. You will need your UWM campus ID#: xxx-xx-xxxx. To check the status of your application online go to the main UWM website www.uwm.edu and click “PAWS,” below the yellow bar at the top of the page. Please note: your PAWS account may not be accessible for 24 hours after applying.

You will use your PAWS account the entire time you are a student at UWM, so write down your ePantherID and password in a safe place so you can remember it later. Once you have logged into you PAWS account, look for the To-Do List on the right hand side. These are the application requirements we have not received. When they disappear from your list, you know we have received them.

Admitted – Now what?

Admission on Probation:

A student admitted on probation (i.e., a student with an undergraduate grade point average of less than 2.75 who has provided substantial evidence of the capability to do satisfactory graduate work) must earn a minimum 3.00 GPA on at least six (6) credits within one year, or three terms of enrollment, in order to clear the probation status.

Program of Study (PoS)

A Program of Study form is a guideline to ensure that a student is on track for successfully completing a masters (or PhD) and meeting the degree requirements. PoS is typically submitted within the first year of enrollment.

MS Program of Study (Changes effective with Spring 2014 Admissions)

Thesis Option – 24 credits of coursework. 6 credits of Thesis

Of the 24 credits, 15 must be 700-level or higher (thesis credits are not part of this 15 credit requirement)

Non-Thesis Option – 31 credits of coursework

Of the 31 credits – 16 must be 700-level or higher

  • Deficiency courses are not included as part of the minimum credit requirement. Only U/G and G courses count toward the program.
  • Only one 3-credit independent study is allowed for MS program.
  • If a Masters student is transferring in credits from another institution, or has taken UWM courses as NDC (Non-Degree Candidate), credits require approval from the Graduate School using the Transfer of Credit Evaluation Form (TCE)
  • Credits earned in a Bachelor’s Degree Program are not allowed to be transferred into a MS program. (The only exceptions are the approved credits completed as part of the integrated BS-MS program.