The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Electrical Engineering provides a program of coursework and in-depth scholarly research in an area of Electrical Engineering.
The minimum degree requirement is 66 graduate credits beyond the Bachelor’s degree with minimum credit distribution as follows:
- 21 credits in the major area or concentration
- 9 credits in an approved minor area
- 6 credits in mathematics and/or quantitative methods
- 9 credits of approved electives
- 3 credit CEAS Graduate Seminar (Ethics and Engineering Communication, xxx700)
- A minimum of 26 credits, excluding dissertation, must be at the 700 level or higher
- 18 credits of doctoral thesis
- A minimum of 33 credits (including thesis) must be completed in the Ph.D. program at UWM.
Meet the 6 credit requirement in mathematics and/or quantitative methods by completing certain courses specified by the Graduate Program Subcommittee or by taking a minor in mathematics. Minor areas of study are normally offered in other CEAS programs or in the physical sciences, management sciences, or mathematics. Minors in other areas require prior approval.
- A maximum of 33 credits may be considered for transfer from prior graduate work, including a Master’s degree earned at UWM or elsewhere provided the course work taken falls within the appropriate areas and has earned a grade of “B” or better.
- Students entering the program without an applicable Master’s degree are limited to a maximum transfer of 9 credits for courses taken elsewhere.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in electrical engineering
- If you have BS or MS degrees outside of electrical engineering, you may be admitted with no more than two program-defined course deficiencies.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the highest degree granted based on a 4.0 scale.
- A brief statement describing your professional goals (SoP) and two letters of reference.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for all international and domestic applicants.
- International students require proof of English language proficiency. Complete information is available at the UWM Center for International Education
Program changes effective with Spring 2014 admissions
Contact the UWM Graduate School: https://uwm.edu/graduateschool/
Engineering and Computer Science Graduate Programs