Finding Funding for your Research

Intramural Funding
There are several sources of internal funding for faculty members in the SOE. One source of funding is the Institute for Excellence in Urban Education (IEUE) grant. This is an award that is made to SOE faculty to support research aimed at investigating achievement disparities and/or improving the learning/life chances of individuals in urban settings, particularly those who live in poverty and/or are of color. $50,000 of new funds are available each year to fund project.

In addition to this SOE internal funding mechanism, the Office of Research at UWM has two internal funding mechanisms: (1) The Research Growth Initiative (RGI); and (2) The Faculty Research and Creative Activities Support Awards (FRACAS) Awards.

The Research Growth Initiative® (RGI) is an internal seed funding program that supports high-quality research projects in the early stages. Its objective is to increase UWM’s research productivity, scholarship, creative endeavors, collaborative projects, and external funding by investing in proposals selected through an independent and objective process. For more information about this funding program, visit the Office of Research’s Internal Grant Programs page.

The Research and Creative Activities Support (RACAS) Awards provide competitive support for faculty research and creative activities. In so doing, they highlight the breadth of meritorious scholarship across UWM. Projects supported with RACAS funds are expected to result in appropriate scholarly products that will increase the national and international recognition of the awardees, their programs, and the institution. Examples include: publications, creative works, proposals for extramural funding and/or named fellowships, and artistic performances. For more information about these awards, visit the Office of Research’s Internal Grant Programs page.

Extramural Funding
The Office of Sponsored Programs in the Office of Research at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee offers many resources for identifying potential funders. The Funding Opportunities section of their web site has many links to extramural and limited-submission funding sources, as well as information on grant alert e-mail services and grant writing support.
The SOE Principal Investigators Handbook
The Office of the Associate Dean of Research and Engaged Scholarship has created a reference guide designed to assist faculty members with UWM proposal development resources, submission procedures, policies and processes related to expenditures, and award closeout out processes. Download the SOE Principal Investigators Handbook (PDF).

Faculty Resources

Finding Funding & Partners
• Find external funding opportunities for your research using PIVOT.

• Contact Kari Whittenberger-Keith ( for assistance with PIVOT and proposal development.

• Contact Alan Shoho ( for assistance finding collaborators or identifying community partnerships.

Proposal Preparation
• The SOE Research Proposal Development process flowchart (PDF) can guide you along each step of the way.

• Use the budget development tool to design your budget. Contact Sarah Osborne ( for assistance with budget development.

• Your grant must be submitted for internal approval using WISPER.

• You can find important information pertaining to proposal development by visiting the Office of Research’s Frequently Requested Information page.

Award Management
• Once your award has been set up by the Office of Research, the OSP Post Award Accountant, Eva Hoagland ( and Sarah Osborne ( will work with you to help you manage your account.

WISDM should be used to keep track of your budget. Guidelines for using WISDM can be found here. Be sure to follow agency reporting guidelines.

• Effort reporting MUST be completed by PIs each semester to ensure that we are complying with federal regulations.

• CORE students can assist you with database management, statistical analyses, and much more!

Award Closeout
• OSP Post Award Accountant, Eva Hogaland and Sarah Osborne will guide you through the award budget closeout process.

• Work with your sponsor Program Officer regarding reporting requirements.

Institutional Research Support

Internal Data Requests
For internal requests for program data. Before completing your request, please visit the campus OAIR website. If you are unable to find the data you are looking for, please complete the School of Education Student Data Request Form.

Contact Rita Delzer ( with questions or for assistance.