New Students

As a new student, we welcome you to the School of Education at UW-Milwaukee!

Thank you for choosing to study with us. We know that there are many options for advanced studies. However, we don’t think that you will find more engaging opportunities to study anywhere. We also think you will find that the faculty and instructors in the School of Education are among the finest.

On this page you will find information about the first steps to beginning your studies with us. You will find information, links and people to contact for more information or assistance. Please take advantage of this page and the information provided.

Thank you and, again, welcome!

School of Education Graduate Assistants in front of Enderis Hall panther statue.

License Renewal or Career Change?

Rob Longwell-GriceAre you looking for courses to renew your teaching license and/or considering a new career path? We can certainly help you with both options. Currently, educators who were licensed prior to 2004 can opt to renew their license by completing 6 credits every five years. Educators who were licensed after 2004 can also take credits as part of their PDP plan and use that to renew your license. You can do these credits for renewal only, or combine them with other courses to complete a certificate or a graduate degree that may open new options in your career.

Rob Longwell-Grice, Coordinator of Recruitment and Scholarship Services for the School of Education, can assist you regardless of your goal. He can help you find courses that will work for your renewal, and talk with you about the different programs and degrees the School of Education offers. If you have questions about any of our programs – be they graduate or undergraduate, degrees or certificates; new or renewal licenses – please contact Rob at or (414) 229-3059.

First Steps

Just need to register?

Undergraduate Credit Registration

  • To register for Undergraduate credit, you must at least hold a high school diploma or the equivalent.
  • When taking a course as part of a job requirement or for advancement on a salary schedule, you should be certain whether graduate or undergraduate credit will be accepted.

Graduate Credit Registration

  • To register for Graduate credit, you must have at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and should be registering in a course approved for graduate credit.
  • Courses taken for graduate credit may, with proper approvals; be counted toward an advanced degree at UW-Milwaukee.
  • No more than nine graduate credits earned in UWM off-campus graduate courses prior to admission to a UWM graduate program may be considered for transfer toward the UWM graduate degree program.

If you are unsure of your student ‘status’ (undergraduate, graduate, non-degree) please contact the Office of Student Services (OSS) for assistance. They can be reached at or (414) 229-4721.

Need to be admitted to UWM?
Want to know about our programs or certifications?
Need your transcripts evaluated?
Students who already hold a bachelor’s degree can earn their teaching certification by successfully completing our post-baccalaureate teaching certification program. It’s possible that coursework completed as part of your bachelor’s degree could be applied towards our program. Please complete the web form below to find out if any of your previous course work can be used to fulfill certification requirements.

Request for Transcript Evaluation Form

Need to satisfy stipulations?

Scan and email a copy of your DPI stipulations letter to the certification officer to ensure you receive the right course recommendations; to, or fax to (414) 229-4705 with attention to Teacher Certification & Licensing.

Click Here for Instructions for Applying to the University as a Post-Baccalaureate to Satisfy DPI Stipulations (PDF)

Click Here for List of Courses that Satisfy DPI Stipulations (PDF)

Need to renew your license?
Go to the Schedule of Classes,, and choose the courses that are directly related to your license. Most license renewal courses will fall under these departments: Administrative Leadership, Curriculum & Instruction, Educational Policy & Community Studies, Educational Psychology and Exceptional Education. Then, Apply as a Non-degree Student for License Renewal, Click Here for Instructions (PDF).
Don't see what you need?
Fill out the Information Request Form to learn more about our programs.