Who do I make the check out to when making a
tax-deductible contribution and where do I send my gift?
Please send your charitable gift to:
(Checks made out to the UWM Foundation)
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Office for Development and Alumni Relations
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
Attn: Shavonn Montgomery Brown

All donations are tax-deductible, to the fullest extent of the law. You can choose to designate your gift to any fund within the School. Please contact us if you’re interested in establishing your own scholarship or other type of fund.

Can I submit a donation online?
Yes, there are a couple of ways you can do this.

One option is to visit the Advancing UWM Make a Gift webpage, then follow these steps to submit an online donation.

  • Under the section titled Designation, select View All Funds (or Give to Multiple Areas)
  • Type School of Education in the search box in the upper right hand corner to bring up School of Education designations
  • Select your designation and click the Continue button.

Another option is to visit the Advancing UWM School of Education webpage.

What are some of the funds that I can give to
within the School of Education?
There are many scholarship funds and designated School operating funds in the School. The School of Education General Fund allows us to be responsive to unanticipated initiatives to help move the school forward.

List of Current Scholarship Opportunities

Or, if you wish to establish your own scholarship fund, contact Shavonn Montgomery Brown at (414) 251-8214 or montgoms@uwm.edu. Name a scholarship for a loved one and engage with student/s who benefit from your generosity.

I work at the School of Education. How can I help
some of my students succeed in the School?
Gifts to scholarships are a great way to help your students. Your gift through payroll deduction is an easy way to make this happen.

UWM Gives to UWM webpage

UWM Gives to UWM Form (PDF)

I want to give a gift from my retirement plan.
Giving from your retirement fund can be as simple as changing the beneficiary designation. From your financial institution, you can request a change of beneficiary form. There are also ways to give from your retirement plan during your lifetime. Please contact Shavonn Montgomery Brown at (414) 251-8214 or montgoms@uwm.edu for more information.

IRA Charitable Rollover

If you are 70½ years old or older, you can take advantage of a simple way to benefit the UWM Foundation and receive tax benefits in return. You can give up to $100,000 from your IRA directly to a qualified charity such as ours without having to pay income taxes on the money. Consult your IRA custodian to help complete the “rollover” to charity.

Specify which area or school (School of Education) is to receive your gift.
This law no longer has an expiration date so you are free to make annual gifts to our organization this year and well into the future.

I have been thinking of putting the School of Education in
my will or estate plans.
Thank you for considering a gift that will create a lasting legacy for future generations at UWM. There are several ways to include SOE in your estate plans, such as bequests, trusts, retirement assets, life insurance policies or charitable gift annuities.

Please consider asking your attorney or advisor to use the following language in your will, or contact Shavonn Montgomery Brown at (414) 251-8214 or montgoms@uwm.edu to discuss:

I bequeath ___ to the UWM Foundation, Inc. for the benefit of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, School of Education. I would like my gift to be used to support ____ (name of program, specific or general scholarships, etc) within the School of Education.

We encourage you to involve UWM’s Office for Development & Alumni Relations so that we may help insure your gift intentions will be properly documented, followed, and recognized according to your wishes. I want to assure you that our communications are confidential.

Once your plans are complete, we would be honored to include you as a member of the Alice G. Chapman Society, our recognition society for those who have included UWM in their estate plans. Members are listed in university publications and invited to special events on campus. Please contact Shavonn Montgomery Brown at (414) 251-8214 or montgoms@uwm.edu for more information or visit the Give to UWM website.

I have some stock I would like to gift to
the School of Education.
We welcome your gift of appreciated stock. You, or your financial advisor, can contact Shavonn Montgomery Brown for instructions on how to make a transfer.
I want to provide philanthropic support to
say “thank you” to my alma mater.
There are so many ways to say thank you, here are just a few:

Did you receive a scholarship or fellowship while attending UWM?

You can help the next generation of students by making a gift in support of scholarships or fellowships.

List of Current Scholarship Opportunities

Do you want to honor a favorite professor?

We have funds that are named in honor of or in memory of many of our dedicated professors. Please contact Shavonn Montgomery Brown at (414) 251-8214 or montgoms@uwm.edu if your favorite professor already has a fund in his/her honor.

Did you attend the Milwaukee State Teachers College (UWM’s predecessor institution) and want to honor that group of high-achieving alumni?

Your gift to the Milwaukee State Teachers College Scholarship Fund helps show your appreciation for your education and your desire to help the next generation of aspiring teachers.

Do you want to say ‘thank you’ to the School of Education?

The School of Education General Fund allows us to be responsive to unanticipated initiatives to help move the school forward. The School of Education General Scholarship Fund is another option. This fund allows us to offer scholarships and fellowships to a variety of academically successful students who need assistance with their educational expenses.

I am interested in establishing an endowed fund.
Thank you for your interest in setting up a permanent fund to support students, degree programs, new initiatives, and more. You can establish a fund which might honor a family member or former professor:

With a $20,000 gift for unrestricted support for scholarships or the school

With a $50,000 gift for restricted support for scholarships or the school, which you and the school can define.

Payments can be made over a period of time, usually three to five years. Once the fund reaches the permanent endowed fund level, earnings support scholarships.

Please contact Shavonn Montgomery Brown at (414) 251-8214 or montgoms@uwm.edu for more information, or to discuss creative ways to establish an endowed fund in your name, or in honor of an important person in your life.

Can I honor or memorialize someone with my gift?
Absolutely. Please make your gift and include a note specifying it is to honor or memorialize someone. Please provide the name and an address where we can send a note announcing your kind gesture. If you are interested in exploring naming opportunities on campus, please contact Shavonn Montgomery Brown at (414) 251-8214 or montgoms@uwm.edu.
I heard there is a Women’s Giving Circle. Tell me more
about it.
The Women’s Giving Circle of the UWM School of Education was founded in 2006 “to bring together women alumni and former and current teachers of all ages who pool their gifts for greater impact and keep themselves current about education through their promotion of the School and its educational research.”

Historically, annual gifts of $1,000 have been contributed by each member.

Annually, with input from the Dean, the members collectively decide how to designate their combined gifts to support the School.

Faculty speakers from the School are invited to the Circle’s gatherings to discuss new programs, cutting edge research, and upcoming student initiatives.

Giving back to SOE is important to me, but I can’t afford
to give much.
Your support is important and every gift is appreciated. Please give what you can, whether $25 or $5,000. Thank you.