The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee provides endorsement for teacher certification, pupil services and administrator licenses for the School of Education, Peck School of the Arts, College of Health Sciences, Helen Bader School of Social Welfare, and School of Information Studies.

How To Apply For Your License

  • Make sure your legal name, address, phone number, major, minor and concentration are all accurate in PAWS. Contact your adviser if your major, minor or concentration is inaccurate. Any discrepancies in this information will cause a delay in getting your license.
  • If applicable, check that your Wisconsin Foundations of Reading Test score is on your transcript. Please note that it takes 4 weeks after you’ve tested for your score to be processed, so plan ahead.
  • Create a WAMS account and profile. View the Creating a WAMS Account video for details.
  • Fingerprinting: If you have lived outside of the State of Wisconsin after age 17, you must provide fingerprints. Visit the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) Fingerprint Requirement webpage to find out how.
  • Be prepared to answer the background check questions. Preview the questions here, Background Check for Licensure. If there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)


For undergrads getting bachelor’s degrees,

  • Your degree must be already conferred and visible on your transcript before applying for a license.
  • It can take Enrollment Management up to four weeks to process and post your degree. If any questions about degree conferral, contact Enrollment Management.
  • 1 – 2 business days after your degree has been awarded, you will be notified via email with instructions to apply for your license using DPI’s Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system.

Post-Baccs, Non-Degree, Graduate Level Candidates

For post baccs, non-degree, and graduate level completers,

  • Your final grades must be posted and visible on your transcript.
  • If applicable, your graduate degree must already be awarded and showing on your transcript.
  • After your grades/degree are posted, complete and submit this web form, Certification & Licensing web form.
  • Depending on the volume of applicants, it can take up to four weeks for recommendation to DPI for licensure.
  • You will be notified via email with a date to apply for your license using DPI’s Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system.


View the following tutorials for assistance with getting through the ELO system.

Create a WAMS ID (Video)

Onboarding (Video)

Apply for Your Initial Teacher’s License

1st Time Requesting an Administrator License

1st Time Requesting a Pupil Services License

Renew Your License

Click Here for Instructions for Applying to the University as a Post-Baccalaureate to Renew Your License (PDF)

Click Here to Find Your Courses


Click Here for Courses that Meet DPI Stipulations (PDF)

Click Here for Instructions on Applying to the University as a Post-Baccalaureate to Meet DPI Stipulations (PDF)

Click Here for Classes, Tuition and Registration Fees

Out of State Licensing

If you plan to move to another state, you will need to check the licensing requirements for that state. The Certification Requirements by State webpage has links to teacher licensing agencies in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. If you have already moved and need UW-Milwaukee’s signature verifying your program completion, please forward that state’s form to UWM’s certification officer, Kathy L. Berry (

Contact Us

Kathy L. Berry
Certification Officer
Enderis Hall, Room 253
(414) 229-4721