Online education continues to grow, and higher education institutions are looking for professionals who know how to best educate, motivate, and support online students.
At UWM, a national leader in online education, you’ll gain a critical, reflective understanding of the research and theory behind online teaching, learning, and student support. This 15-credit certificate draws upon innovative theoretical and practical insights from the School of Education’s Adult & Continuing Education Leadership and Higher Education Administration programs.
Why Choose Our Program?
- Learn from faculty with deep knowledge and experience in online education and student support.
- Benefit from small class sizes and a completely online format.
- Gain important knowledge and skill-sets to recruit and retain online students, the fastest-growing population in higher education.
- Discover rewarding career opportunities as an online advisor, academic success coach, tutoring coordinator, center manager, adult educator, or other student services personnel.
Required Core Courses (6 credits)
ADLDSP 703: Resources for Self-directed Learning – 1 credit
ADLDSP 704: Using Synchronous and Asynchronous Technologies for Advising, Teaching, and Academic Support – 1 credit
ADLDSP 706: Professional Development for Online Instruction – 1 credit
ADLDSP 707: Using Technology with Adult Learners – 3 credits
ADLDSP 708: Online Support Services in Adult, Continuing, and Higher Education – 3 credits
Elective Courses (6 credits)
Core courses not taken in the six required limit can also be taken as electives.
ADLDSP 687: Instructional Design & Teaching Strategies – 3 credits
ADLDSP 740: Seminar in Innovative Technology for Learning in Education – 3 credits
ADLDSP 757: Principles and Foundations of Adult Education – 3 credits
ADLDSP 778: Introduction to Student Personnel Services – 3 credits
EDPSYCH 640: Human Development: Theory and Research – 3 credits
INFOST 521: Introduction to Reference Services and Resources – 3 credits
L&I SCI 734: Library Services and Resources for Adults – 3 credits
Required Practicum (3 credits)
ADLDSP 750: Internship in Administrative Leadership – 3 credits
ADLDSP 647: Evaluation of Adult and Continuing Education Programs – 3 credits
NOTE: These credits should not be taken before completion of at least 9 credits of coursework.
This practicum would require students to complete an internship in an online student support service unit (a total of 150 hours) by enrolling in ADLDSP 750 or an instructor supervised evaluation project of an existing online student support service by enrolling in ADLDSP 647.
- You must complete a bachelor’s degree prior to admission, have a minimum 2.75 cumulative undergraduate grade point average, and declare your intent to pursue the certificate before completing six credits in the certificate sequence.
- If you have a graduate degree, you must have a minimum 3.00 graduate grade point average.
- If you are not already admitted to the Graduate School, you must complete the UWM Graduate School Online Admission Application. Select “Graduate courses for personal/professional enrichment” as your reason for applying.
If you’re interested in applying for this program or would like more information, please let us know by filling out the Support Services for Online Students in Higher Education declaration form below.
2 in 1: Earn A Master’s Degree & Certificate
At the UW-Milwaukee School of Education Department of Administrative Leadership, you can earn a Master’s degree and a certificate, individually or at the same time. These offerings are perfect for anyone looking to advance their career in higher education, adult and continuing education, and for educators in the healthcare field.
Note: You must complete an application (including the application fee) for both programs.
For more information or questions about the program
Webpage url: onlinesupporthe.uwm.edu
Job Titles of ACHEA Graduates
Check the job titles of ACHEA graduates:
Stay in Touch with Us
We post job announcements and opportunities on our social media.