Student Support

The Dean of Students leads two campus intervention teams: The Campus Assessment, Response, and Education Team (CARE) and the Student Support Team. The CARE and Student Support Teams act proactively to identify, assess, manage, and reduce potentially harmful or threatening behavior.

Campus Assessment, Response, and Education (CARE) Team

This mission of the team is to provide a timely response to individual behaviors deemed disruptive or at-risk to the campus community and determine the most appropriate steps to and protect the health, safety, and welfare of the individual and members of the UWM community. 

The CARE Team is comprised of qualified and dedicated professionals from across campus.  The CARE Team acts in a proactive manner to identify, assess, manage, reduce, and educate the campus community as to the risk of potentially harmful or threatening behavior.  The team collects reports for anyone (i.e. students, employees, vendors, non-affiliated persons) who may pose a threat or concern to the UWM Community. 

If you notice behavior that is disruptive, intimidating, physically threatening, or dangerous submit a report. If you are uncertain about whether the behavior is concerning, we still encourage you to report it.

The CARE Team is not an emergency response team. Behaviors that require immediate attention are handled by UWM Police. If there is an emergency or if you need immediate assistance, call 9-911 from a campus phone and 414-229-4632 from a cell phone.

CARE does not replace other classroom management responsibilities, supervisory workplace duties, or disciplinary processes, it supplements those efforts.

Student Support Team (SST):

The Student Support Team helps identify students who appear to be in distress and provides supportive intervention and guidance. If you notice a change in student behavior that could be the result of a wide range of issues that can cause barriers to learning, such as strained relationships, increased anxiety, alcohol/drug problems, financial difficulties, depression, and difficulty concentrating and/or lack of motivation.