Guidelines have been updated for UWM departments or units planning large-group events amid the pandemic. These guidelines apply to events on UWM campuses and offsite events sponsored by UWM. They are subject to change with public health guidance.
A “UWM large-group event” is defined as one that is not an academic course published in the UWM course schedule (including co-curricular programs), is sponsored by UWM and includes more than 15 people at one time.
Below are guidelines for UWM large-group events:
- All UWM large-group events must follow CDC, local public health and UWM guidelines on masks and social distancing. Read the Panther Health and Community Safety Standards.
- All UWM large-group events, regardless of location, must follow current City of Milwaukee orders related to “gatherings.” As of July 23, 2020, gatherings in homes or public venues must be the lesser of these three:
- 50% of the total occupancy of the location
- One person for every 30 square feet
- 250 people
- UWM large-group events with 50 or fewer people at a time, whether indoors or outdoors, are allowed and do not require special approval.
- Indoor UWM large-group events with more than 50 people at a time are generally prohibited through Nov. 30, 2020. This applies to events on and off campus, and the date may be extended depending on health and safety conditions.
- Outdoor UWM large-group events with more than 50 people at a time, whether on or off campus, are discouraged through Nov. 30, 2020. This date may be extended depending on health and safety conditions.
- If a UWM department wishes to pursue an outdoor large-group event involving more than 50 people at a time, it must submit a request for review and approval to the Emergency Operations Center’s Special Requests Team at email@example.com.
- The Special Requests Team may require event organizers to work with designated venue management (see Managed Venues, below).
- The Special Requests Team will bring any recommendations to Crisis Management Team (CMT) leadership for final approval.
- Advanced ticketing is highly encouraged for all events and will be required for some. This may include assigned seating within event spaces.
- Food and beverage service for UWM large-group events is discouraged and must receive prior approval from the Special Requests Team. Approval may include strict limitations.
- Union Event Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, will be the central hub for all nonacademic, co-curricular special event requests held in venues on the Milwaukee campus that do not have dedicated event management staff.
- Exceptions to this policy may be granted only by the chancellor after submittal to the Special Requests Team (email@example.com).
Managed venues, which are UWM spaces with dedicated event staff management, are expected to develop and adhere to their own safety plans and procedures. Those plans and procedures must be consistent with campus guidelines. Managed venues include:
- Peck School of the Arts venues (Art Building, Music Building, Theatre Building, Mitchell 254, Kenilworth Square East and Zelazo Center)
- UWM Student Union
- Golda Meir Library
- School of Continuing Education & Hefter Center
- Zilber School of Public Health
- East Lake Towers
- Klotsche Center & Pavilion
- Lubar Entrepreneurship Center
- Manfred Olson Planetarium
To request events at the Union, please use the Union Event Services web application. For all other managed spaces, please follow the processes developed by each area, which most likely require an email to the building chair or a request via ROAR for classroom space.