I’m having trouble paying the rent. What can I do?

April 15, 2021

The order from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that temporarily halts evictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 has been extended to June 30, 2021. The Federal Eviction Moratorium, which applies to students living in off-campus housing, covers tenants who provide a written “declaration,” or notice, to their landlord. Please visit this CDC guidance for more information, including what information to include in your notice.

If you have questions about the order or if you have received an eviction notice, contact the University Legal Clinic as soon as possible.

Wisconsin residents struggling to pay rent may be eligible to receive aid through a $25 million rental assistance program announced by Gov. Tony Evers. The state created the Wisconsin Rental Assistance Program to help tenants who lost income due to the COVID-19 crisis.

Applicants must be adult Wisconsin residents with a household income at or below 80% of the county median income in the month of or prior to the application date. Visit this state Department of Administration site for the program for more information, including eligibility criteria and contact information.

If approved, individuals may receive assistance of up to $3,000 in a combination of rental payments and/or security deposits. These payments will be paid directly to the landlord on behalf of the tenant. The state received the funding through the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

Other tips from the UWM Neighborhood Housing Office:

  • Be sure to communicate with your landlord in writing about any missed or late payments due to loss of income.
  • If you’re having trouble paying the rent, ask for a rent deferment agreement in writing from your landlord.