The federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act allotted $16.9 million to UWM for pandemic relief. Half of that was allocated to students in emergency aid grants.
The other half can be used by the institution to cover costs associated with the pandemic. UWM intends to use the vast majority of the institutional portion of CARES Act funding – almost 95% – to reimburse university units that provided refunds or other payments to students. The remainder will be used to cover additional expenses associated with transitioning to remote learning and work, including computers, headsets and remote grading/testing software.
The breakdown is as follows:
- Housing refunds: $4,100,879
- Dining refunds: $3,175,020
- COVID-19 leave payments to student employees: $630,000
- Additional hardware and software for remote learning: $446,686
- Parking refunds for students: $110,248