If you do not see a resource you need in the information below, our Immigration Coordinators will be happy to assist you.

Immigration Status Advising
Immigration Status Advising is available by appointment, by telephone, or sometimes on a walk-in basis.

Immigration Advising: meet one-on-one with an Immigration Coordinator to discuss your personal immigration status questions, concerns and/or options.

Visit Garland 138 or call 414-229-4846 to make an appointment with an Immigration Coordinator. Telephone advising can also take place during advising hours for those students who are not in Milwaukee (+1 414 229 4846). Immigration advising sessions are 20 minutes in length.

Immigration Advising Hours: Monday-Thursday 10 am-12 pm & 2-4 pm in Garland 138

For complex questions or issues requiring more than 20 minutes, we advise scheduling an appointment directly with one of our Immigration Coordinators.

Appointments: You may contact the CIE main office or one of our Immigration Coordinator directly to schedule an appointment:

Request Forms

CPT Application

CPT Application

Request CPT Authorization

Travel signature request form

Request I-20/DS-2019 Travel Signature

Request for Updated I-20

Request Updated I-20

F-1 Request for Extension

Extension Request

Authorization for Less Than Full Time Enrollment

Request Less Than Full-Time Enrollment Authorization

Dependent Request Form

Request I-20/DS-2019 for Dependents

Change to F-1 Status

Please make an appointment with an immigration coordinator. Instructions for applying for a change will be given during the appointment.

F-1 SEVIS Transfer Form

SEVIS Transfer Release Form – Use this to request your UWM record to be transferred to another school

USCIS Forms & Processing

I-765 Employment Authorization

USCIS Form to Request OPT/OPT STEM Extension

I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

USCIS Form to Request Change of Status or Reinstatement

G-1145 e-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

Receive Electronic Notification of Receipt of OPT/Change of Status/Reinstatement Petition

Frequently Asked Questions
What are my immigration documents?
  • Your immigration documents include: passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019 and I-94.
  • Your passport must be valid throughout your stay in the US.
  • Your visa can be expired as long as you are staying int eh US as long as you have the appropriate visa stamp. If you travel outside the US, you will need a valid US visa to re-enter.
  • Your I-20/DS-2019 has to be valid while you are in the US. At least thirty days prior to your expiration date, contact ISSS if your I-20/DS-2019 abut an extension.
  • You can print out your most recent I-94 here. Every time you come back in the US, print a copy of your updated I-94 and keep for your records.
When do I need a new I-20/DS-2019?
The reasons listed below are common situations when you new a new I-20/DS-2019. Fill out an updated I-20/DS-2019 Request form and submit it to the CIE Main office in Garland 138.
  • Your I-20/DS-2019 is about to expire and you need more time to complete your program.
  • Your change your program.
  • you change your degree level.
  • You lost your I-20/DS-2019.
  • You apply for CPT/OPT.
  • You have a change in funding and need an updated one for a visa appointment.

If you have questions about if you need a new I-20/Ds-2019, make an appointment with an immigration advisor .

What is full time enrollment?

  • Undergraduate student must enroll in 12 credits each fall and spring semester.
  • Graduate students must enroll in 8 credits each fall and spring semester.
  • Graduate students with an assistantship should review their contract for their full time enrollment.
  • Summer and Winterim semesters are optional unless they are your first semester at UWM. Make an appointment with an immigration coordinator for more details.

How many online courses can I enroll in each semester?

Most students can enroll in one online course which count towards the full-time enrollment each semester. Make an appointment with an immigration coordinator. If you are sponsored student, please meet with the ISSS sponsored student immigration coordinator.

Can I request Less than Full Time enrollment?

Under limited circumstances, you may be eligible for less than full time enrollment. Make an appointment with one of our immigration coordinators for more details if you have questions.


Can I work while studying at UWM?

As an F-1 student, you can work on campus unless you have other employment authorization from our department.

How many hours can I work?

F-1 students can work up to 20 hours a week on campus while school is in session. During summer and winter vacations, you can work over 20 hours per week as allowed by your department.

What is CPT and how do I apply for it?

CPT stands for “Curricular Practical Training”. It is a type of employment authorization which allows you to work off-campus. The type of work has to be directly related to your study. You must be enrolled in the appropriate course and may need additional approvals from your department. Make an appointment with an immigration advisor to discuss this. The applications are in Garland 138 or online here.

If I have an on campus job, can I still apply for CPT?

Yes you can. Make an appointment with an immigration advisor to discuss your particular situation.

What is OPT and how do I apply for it?

OPT stands for “Optional Practical Training”. It grants you up to 12 months employment authorization after you complete your degree in the US. You can apply for post-completion OPT 90 days before you graduate. please make an appointment with one of our immigration coordinators for more information. If you are interested in finding out more, you can fill out this form to be notified of upcoming OPT presentations. Apply here for OPT.