Some foreign national faculty and instructional or research academic staff are sponsored by UWM for H-1B status. H-1B is an employment-based visa that allows up to 6 years of temporary stay in the U.S. for certain skilled workers to perform specialized work for which an advanced degree is required.

The UWM sponsoring academic unit, the foreign national employee, and the Center for International Education each play distinct roles and have certain responsibilities during the H-1B petition process and during the time an employee holds H-1B status at UWM.

Because H-1B is a temporary visa, many tenure-track faculty and some instructional academic staff are also sponsored through the PERM process to begin a move to permanent resident status.

Learn more