Greetings from your friends in the Center for International Education. We hope you are well during this stressful time of uncertainty. We know that you are getting ready to resume your studies online next week. We hope the transition to online learning goes as smoothly as possible for you.
We wanted to share the following updates and clarifications:
- If you have moved and are still in the US please update your mailing address in PAWS to where you live now.
- If you have left the US, please leave your US address as your last address in Milwaukee even if you will be returning to a new residence hall or apartment when you return.
- If you plan to leave the US you DO NOT need a travel signature to depart. Please send an email to ISSS@uwm.edu when you arrive home. We will communicate with you prior to your return and provide all necessary documents.
- If you have any difficulty accessing your online coursework please contact your instructor immediately and explain your situation.
- For UWM updates on the COVID-19 pandemic, visit uwm.edu/coronavirus
We will continue to provide weekly updates and respond to your questions and concerns to the best of our ability.
Have a good week-end and please stay safe.
March 19 Update to Students
Yesterday afternoon the University announced that all university courses will be moved to online for the remainder of the semester. We understand many of you may have questions at this point regarding traveling back to your home country and how to maintain your immigration status. We have included below some commonly asked questions with answers.
Please read this entire email before setting an appointment to meet with an Immigration Coordinator, calling to ask questions, or emailing your questions. After reading this email, if you have additional questions, please reach out by email or by phone.
If you do not want to return to your home country or cannot, you can stay in the US and complete the semester from the US.If you do go home, please be advised that if your visa is expired, you will need to apply for a new visa for reentry.
If I leave the US now or if I remain in the US will I maintain my F-1 status?
Currently we are not able to sign travel signatures in-person. We will be in contact with all students with instructions on requesting a new I-20 with a travel signature mailed to you before your return to the US.
If you plan to return to your home country, please let us know when you’ve arrived safely by emailing email@example.com. We will ensure that you have the documents you need to request reentry to the US.
If you live in off-campus housing, you should speak with your landlord to figure out your options.
If you live in on-campus housing, please refer to the communications being sent out by University Housing to review your options.
Know that we are here to assist you with any concerns you have. Your well-being is our priority and our concern.
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. We are also accepting phone and virtual appointments. Please call 414-229-4846 to schedule an appointment.