Dear UWM Students, Faculty and Staff,
Here are just a few of my favorite UWM recollections from 2019:
- We celebrated maintaining our ‘R1’ status as one of America’s top-tier research universities
- Grand opening of our Lubar Entrepreneurship Center and Welcome Center
- UWM made history with the conclusion of our successful $251M record-breaking fund-raising campaign that supports student success, research excellence and community engagement.
- The Freshwater Collaborative of Wisconsin and our School of Freshwater Sciences gained substantial momentum with a major donation through the Greater Milwaukee Foundation for a new research vessel.
- Our current 4-year and 6-year graduation rates are the best UWM has experienced in the 2000s. We closed the gap in under-represented minorities’ retention by three percentage points, and our general trend line for retention is fairly positive over the past several years.
- Through our M-cubed partnership with MATC and MPS, we saw an increase in MPS’ 4-year graduation rate from 58.2% in 2015 to 66.7% in 2017 (most recent data). We are on target to reach the goal of 72% for 2019-20. This increases the pipeline to UWM.
- UWM was selected by the Washington Center as one of two higher education partners for the Campaign 2020: National Conventions seminar. This is a great opportunity for our students!
- Milwaukee made Forbes magazine’s 25 Best Places to Visit in 2020 AND our region was ranked the #1 2020 destination by Airbnb!
- I learned how to sew in our Peck School of the Arts costume shop and became a Grind barista for a day.
I look forward to talking with you and wish you all the best for this new semester and decade. No doubt, the times ahead will be even more energetic and engaging than ever.
Mark A. Mone
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee