Blackboard Collaborate, available in D2L as the “Online Rooms” tool, and also available from My UW, is an online collaboration platform providing web presentations, web conferencing, group collaboration, instant messaging or chat, and voice and video sharing. Collaborate allows students and other participants to watch and listen to presentations, ask questions using the chat feature, raise their hands and ask questions using voice, collaborate with team members on completing a group projects using voice, text, and desktop sharing, and more.
For instructional purposes, online collaboration tools are best aligned with conducting individual tasks as part of a larger lesson plan. Examples are: online exam reviews, library database tours, and guest speakers; where each activity plays a part in a larger lesson.
Blackboard Collaborate is a fully integrated part of D2L, and My UW. The tool is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As part of integration with D2L, it is subject to the same maintenance and outages. Outages are posted on the D2L Login Website (http://d2l.uwm.edu). In addition, Blackboard Collaborate also has maintenance windows listed on the D2L Login Website.
Blackboard Collaborate is offered at no cost to UWM users. Collaborate is paid for using Common Systems funding at the UW System level, and contributed to by all UW institutions.
Who Can Use This Service?
- Use of Blackboard Collaborate in D2L is subject to D2L service access.
- All UWM faculty, teaching, academic staff and teaching assistants offering courses during the academic year
- UWM administrative staff offering special courses to faculty, staff, or students as part of academic or administrative duties
- UWM students taking credit or non-credit courses as part of their academic career or development at UWM
- Non-UWM affiliates working with UWM faculty and staff to carry out the missions of UW-Milwaukee
- Use of Blackboard Collaborate through My UW requires employment with UW-Milwaukee.
Faculty, Teaching Academic Staff, Teaching Assistants
While Online Rooms is technically usable in all courses, some training is recommended to understand how the tool integrates with a course. Instructors should contact the CETL Learning Technology Commons for more information.
Students may access the Online Rooms tool once they are enrolled in a course which leverages the tool, and the instructor has provided access to the tool.
Administrative Staff (and Users of Collaborate Outside of Academic Use)
Administrative staff of UWM may schedule rooms through the My UW portal.
Support is provided by different offices on-campus.
- Students: Contact the UWM Help Desk for email or phone support. Refer to the UWM Help Desk website for hours and availability.
- Faculty, teaching staff and administrative staff using Collaborate as Online Rooms in D2L: Contact the CETL Learning Technology Commons for instructor-oriented technical support, course design questions and consultation.
- Weekend technical support is provided by the UWM Help Desk.
- Administrative staff using Blackboard Collaborate outside of D2L: Contact the UWM Help Desk for email or phone support. Refer to the UWM Help Desk website for hours and availability.