As with last year, the 2021 New Teaching Assistant Orientation will be held completely online and accessible via Zoom and Canvas.
If you are interested in attending, please register below and we will send you additional login information closer to the event.
(Additional Information regarding Orientation below form)
Additional Information and Schedule of Events
Like other (non-COVID impacted) years, this year’s new TA orientation is comprised of two components. A day of live interactive events and an asynchronous training session you may take at your own pace.
The first portion of the 2021 virtual TA orientation will kick off at 9:00am on August 23rd and continue (with breaks) through 4:40pm. This packed day will consist of a series of synchronous and interactive presentations, workshops, and trainings; and will provide you with the information you need to teach in this challenging COVID19 environment.
- 8:30 – 9:00am – Chat support begins and Zoom session opens
- 9:00 – 10:30am – Morning Orientation Session
- 10:30 – 10:40am – Transition Break
- 10:40 – 11:55am – Concurrent Session Block 1
- 11:55 – 12:25pm – Lunch Break
- 12:25 – 1:40pm – Concurrent Session Block 2
- 1:40 – 1:50pm – Transition Break
- 1:50 – 2:50pm – Concurrent Session Block 3
- 2:50 – 3:00pm – Transition Break
- 3:00 – 4:00pm – Concurrent Session Block 4
- 4:00 – 4:10pm – Transition Break
- 4:10 – 4:40pm – Closing and Q&A
- 4:40pm – Opening of Canvas asynchronous training content
- 5:00pm – End of chat support
All sessions will be recorded
Asynchronous TA Orientation
The synchronous live orientation will be supplemented by an online course that offers asynchronous access to additional content and will introduce you to HR, campus policies, resources, and additional services available to you at UWM.
This portion of training will be accessed via the same Canvas course as the live content of August 23.
We are excited to announce that if you complete all components of the New Teaching Assistant Orientation by the end of September you will earn the CETL TA Professional Development Digital Badge.
Additional COVID-19 Accommodations
Given the unprecedented disruption to travel caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we realize you may not be able to attend the synchronous portions of the training. Therefore, all synchronous components of the New TA Orientation will be recorded, and special accommodations will be made if you are unable to attend the live/synchronous components but still wish to complete the digital badge.
Additional information will be provided as we finalize plans. If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to Lane Sunwall at firstname.lastname@example.org.