This year, the New Teaching Assistant Orientation will be completed online and will be accessed via Collaborate Ultra and Canvas.
If you are interested in attending, please register below and we will send you additional login information closer to the event.
(Additional Information regarding Orientation below form)
Additional Information and Schedule of Events
Like other (non-COVID impacted) years, this year’s new TA orientation is comprised of two components. A day of live interactive events and an asynchronous training session you may take at your own pace.
The first portion of the 2020 virtual TA orientation will kick off at 9:00am on August 24th and continue (with breaks) through 4:40pm. This packed day will consist of a series of synchronous and interactive presentations, workshops, and trainings; and will provide you with the information you need to teach in this challenging COVID19 environment.
- 8:30 – 9:00am – Chat support begins and collaborate ultra session opens
- 9:00 – 10:30am – Synchronous orientation
- Welcome and Introduction
- Role of TAs at UW-Milwaukee
- Managing Student Concerns and Challenges in a COVID-19 Environment
- Q&A town hall
- Overview of online asynchronous TA training
- 10:30 – 10:40am – Transition Break
- 10:40 – 11:55am – Synchronous Pedagogy 1: The Tricky Business of Learning: What is it?
- 11:55 – 12:25pm – Lunch Break
- 12:25 – 1:40pm – Synchronous Pedagogy 2: Strategies to Engage Learners: Acquire a toolkit of a few core strategies to engage your students
- 1:40 – 1:50pm – Transition Break
- 1:50 – 2:50pm – Synchronous Pedagogy 3: I Have to Grade Them??
- 2:50 – 3:00pm – Transition Break
- 3:00 – 4:00pm – Concurrent Canvas Training
- Canvas Basics
- Canvas Advanced
- Canvas Tips and Tricks
- 4:00 – 4:10pm – Transition Break
- 4:10 – 4:40pm – Closing and Q&A
- 4:40pm – Opening of Canvas asynchronous training content
- 5:00pm – End of chat support
All sessions will be recorded
Asynchronous TA Orientation
The synchronous live orientation will be supplemented by an online course that offers asynchronous access to additional content and will introduce you to HR, campus policies, resources, and additional services available to you at UWM.
This portion of training will be accessed via the same Canvas course as the live content of August 24.
We are excited to announce that if you complete all components of the New Teaching Assistant Orientation by the end of September you will earn the CETL TA Professional Development Digital Badge.
Additional COVID-19 Accommodations
Given the unprecedented disruption to travel caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we realize you may not be able to attend the synchronous portions of the training. Therefore, all synchronous components of the New TA Orientation will be recorded, and special accommodations will be made if you are unable to attend the live/synchronous components but still wish to complete the digital badge.
Additional information will be provided as we finalize plans. If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to Lane Sunwall at email@example.com.