Proctorio is available for all instructors who wish to use it in their Spring and Summer 2020 courses.
Proctorio is an artificial-intelligence (AI) based student proctoring tool that can record both students and their desktop during an exam. Proctorio AI reviews these recordings, flags suspicious activity, organizes this data into a report, and makes all recordings and reports available to faculty after the exam is finished.
Instructors using Proctorio must notify students that they will be recorded during the exam. Instructors can notify students by sending an all-class communication (see considerations below).
Click on the above link to access documents, email templates, and training resources for Proctorio as it is used at UW-Milwaukee
Live Proctorio Training Sessions
- Proctorio Training – 02/18/2021 – 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Proctorio Training – 03/02/2021 – 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- Proctorio Training – 03/18/2021 – 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Proctorio Training – 04/07/2021 – 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
- Proctorio Training – 04/30/2021 – 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- Proctorio Training – 05/04/2021 – 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- Proctorio Training – 05/13/2021 – 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
- Proctorio Training – 05/18/2021 – 9:00 am – 10:00 am
Proctorio Canvas Training Course
- A self-paced Canvas course for instructors who wish to learn Proctorio, and how it is being implemented here at UWM is available!
- Please follow the below link to add yourself to the course as a student. https://uws.instructure.com/enroll/TJJGXN
- Proctorio provides robust contextualized documentation within Canvas
- Proctorio offers 24/7 chat, and email support for both instructors and students.
- Instructors can also contact their school/college support or CETL for assistance
- Students should contact Proctorio for all technology issues
Updated as changes are processed and implemented
Proctorio is composed of two parts.
- First: A (free) Chrome extension that links to Proctorio help, and monitors students desktops during the exam
- Second: A LTI tool integrated into Canvas.
Proctorio works best with Canvas Quizzes Classic. Third-party exams (eg. Wiley, or Pearson exams) require extra steps to integrate with Proctorio. CETL continues to recommend against using New Quizzes.
- Proctorio has low technology and bandwidth requirements for students and instructors.
To notify students that they are being recorded as they take an exam(s), a communication can be sent to the entire class. For example, the one below:
Going forward in this course, Proctorio will be used to proctor online examinations and ensure the integrity of course examinations and student grades. When you begin the exam, a small Proctorio pop-up menu with a preview of the area being recorded will let you know you are being recorded. Proctorio’s statement on Privacy can be accessed by clicking the following link: https://proctorio.com/privacy
Alternative exams or another solution will be necessary for students who do not have a Mac, PC, Chromebook, or an external webcam and microphone (Proctorio does not work with either smartphones or tablets).
Proctorio requires that students use Chrome (not Firefox).
Students should be instructed to log-in to their course and prepare for the exam 30 minutes prior to its scheduled start, if applicable.