First-Year Seminar Symposium
The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) and the Student Success Center (SSC) will be hosting the Second Annual First-Year Seminar Symposium on Friday, December 6, 2019, 1-3pm, in the Golda Meir Library 4th Floor Conference Center.
More information is available on the First-Year Seminar Symposium website.
First-Year Seminars in Fall 2020
CETL is looking for UWM faculty and instructional academic staff to teach First-Year Seminars of exceptional quality in Fall 2020.
To most effectively facilitate student success, First-Year Seminars must share a common set of features. Therefore, faculty and instructional academic staff in the First-Year Seminar program must:
- Teach discussion-oriented, seminar-style courses, rather than coverage-oriented, lecture-style courses
- Incorporate elements of UWM’s First-Year Seminar Taxonomy
- Promote equity for all students to achieve success in the First-Year Seminar
- Collaborate with a peer mentor assigned by the Student Success Center
- Require students to present a public demonstration of their learning in class or at the First-Year Seminar Symposium on Friday, December 11, 2020
In addition, First-Year Seminar instructors should plan to:
- Participate in a professional development workshop from 9am-1pm on Friday, April 24, 2020
In order to support First-Year Seminar instructors, CETL will facilitate bi-weekly Community of Practice (CoP) meetings in Fall 2020 and provide optional class observations and feedback.
If you are interested in teaching a First-Year Seminar, please complete the form below by December 2, 2019. Keep in mind that all First-Year Seminars must also be approved and funded at the department level.
Please contact Dylan Barth in CETL with any questions about the First-Year Seminar Program.