The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL), in partnership with the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC), has developed the following resources for instructors related to accessibility and Universal Design.
Universal Design Checklist for Instructors
Universal Design centers on proactively developing learning environments that benefit a diverse set of learners, including students who need accommodations. CETL and ARC have developed this checklist for you to use to prepare your upcoming courses.
- Check your Canvas course site for accessibility
- Check Open Educational Resources (OER) and websites for accessibility
- Use only fully-accessible PDFs
- Provide all handouts digitally in Canvas
- Use heading styles in Word documents and web pages
- Use only captioned videos with descriptions
- Provide transcripts digitally for audio-only materials
- Provide text equivalents for graphics and images
- Include descriptive hyperlinks
- Use accessible fonts and colors with sufficient contrast
- Include an accommodations statement in your syllabus
- Use only supplemental technology tools that are ADA compliant
Please contact CETL@uwm.edu with any questions related to the Universal Design Checklist for Instructors.
Accessibility Training for Instructors
UWM is strongly committed to maintaining an environment that provides students with disabilities full access to its educational programs, activities, and facilities. The purpose of the Accessibility Training for Instructors Canvas site, therefore, is to provide UWM instructors with the resources and training you need to support students with disabilities and to make your course accessible for all students.
The training and resources are available in Canvas. To access these materials, click on the button below to be added as a student to the Canvas course site.
You can use this site to:
- Complete the self-paced training to earn the Certificate in Accessibility for UWM Instructors
- Find just-in-time resources about accommodations and Universal Design
Certificate in Accessibility for UWM Instructors
In addition to finding important resources on this site, you can earn the Certificate in Accessibility for UWM Instructors by completing all parts of this training. This certificate is sponsored by the Office of the Provost and formally verifies that you have completed this training. Earning the certificate is a great way to demonstrate your commitment to teaching and to our students at the university.
If you have questions or concerns about this UWM Accessibility Training Site for Instructors, please contact Dylan Barth. If you have questions related to accommodations or accessibility, please contact ARC.