How can I meet with my advisor?

It is simple! There are multiple ways to meet and interact with your academic advisor.

  • Set up an appointment through Navigate.
  • Set up an appointment by calling 414.229.5271. Our front desk staff will find a time that works well for both you and your advisor.
  • Virtual drop-in advising (please check our website for updated hours)
  • Email your advisor. Advisors are assigned by a student’s last name. If you are not sure who your advisor is, or what their email is, you can find it listed on your PAWS home page.

When should I see my Academic Advisor? How often should I meet with my advisor?

Advisors are available and ready to assist you throughout the year. Students are encouraged to meet with an Academic Advisor at least once a semester. It is best to schedule an appointment prior to each registration period. Be sure to plan ahead as advising appointments fill up quickly during peak times.

How do I prepare for an advising appointment?

You can find tips on how to prepare for an advising appointment here. We have outlined information for a student to bring, or ideas to help start the conversation with your advisor.

I cannot wait for an appointment with my advisor. I need help now, what can I do?

Your advisors is always available over email. See advisor email information here. Advisors always do their best to respond to students within 48 hours. However, during peak enrollment season this may not be possible. We ask that you give your advisor at least 48 hours to respond to your inquiry before seeking other avenues for support.

You can also connect with your advisor during virtual drop-in hours!  Drop-in hours are a great way to get quick questions answered without a pre-scheduled appointment. See hours and access details here.

If your advisor is out of the office or not currently available, please contact us at and another advisor will address your questions.

I have some non-academic questions. Can my advisor help?

Your Lubar Advisor can provide general information about many of the services and resources available at UWM, but they may refer you to other staff on campus who can better answer your questions.

  • Financial Aid: Unless a Financial Aid Advisor directed you to your Academic Advisor to complete a form, questions regarding financial aid should be directed to the Financial Aid Office. You can find ways to connect with them here.
  • Internships/Career Services: We encourage all students pursue internship experiences if possible. Students can potentially earn credit for these experiences. You can work with your assigned Lubar Advisor to determine when an internship might fit into your overall academic plan. Your Advisor can also give you general information about the internship for credit application process, which is facilitated by the Lubar Career Services Office. You can reach that office at In addition to this, Lubar’s Career Advisors provide a full array of services from resume critiques, to mock interviews, to career exploration assessments and more.
  • University Housing: Academic advisors do not have access to University Housing assignments, contracts, or other information. If you have a question about University Housing, you can submit a web contact form.
  • Off-campus housing: If you have any questions about living off-campus, we encourage you to connect with the Neighborhood Housing Office at UWM.
  • Tuition and fees: You can find Tuition and Fee information online here.
  • Scholarships: General information regarding scholarships at UWM can be found here. If you have questions about scholarships specifically offered through the Lubar School of Business, visit the Business Scholarships webpage. That webpage includes the Lubar School’s Scholarship Coordinator contact information. Financial Aid Advisors are also a wealth of knowledge regarding how to find external scholarships. You can find ways to connect with them here.
  • Undergraduate Research: Your best bet will be to connect with the Office of Undergraduate Research.
  • Checkout the UWM Student Handbook for additional student resources.

How can I change my major or declare a minor or certificate?

If you are interested in a major, minor, or certificate outside of business, please contact the specific school/college. You can find academic advising office contact information here.

If you want to change/add a major or add a certificate within business, it is recommended to meet with your advisor to develop a plan to keep you on track for graduation. Once you decide on a major, minor, or certificate, your advisor can submit a request to have your academic plan updated in PAWS.

How do I add or drop a class?

Add a Class – Step by Step Guide

Drop a Class – Step by Step Guide

I want to add, drop, or swap a class but PAWS will not let me.

Check the add/drop calendar to make sure you are within the allowable window to make schedule changes. If the deadline to add or drop has passed, you will need to work with your advisor and instructor for permission.  The Lubar School of Business strictly adheres to the add/drop calendar, and requests for late changes may be denied. For more details on how to request late change permission, please contact your advisor.

Why did I get an error message when I tried to enroll in a class?

  • Pre-requisite: You have not completed the required pre-requisite course (example: you must complete Math 211 prior to Bus Adm 210).
  • Co-requisite: There is another course you must take at the same time as or complete prior to the course in which you are attempting to enroll (example: Bus Adm 210 must be taken at the same time or completed prior to taking Bus Adm 370).
  • Reserved Section: Certain courses are reserved for specific populations (specific majors, LLC courses, etc.).
  • Credit Limit: There is a credit limit that you can enroll in each semester: 18 credits in fall and spring, 12 credits in summer, and 3 credits in the UWinteriM. If you want to enroll in additional credits, please contact your advisor to learn about the appeal process.
  • Closed: This means the section is full. Advisors are unable to override capacity for full sections. You can try contacting the instructor of the closed class for permission to enroll. An add/drop form must be signed by the instructor to enroll in any closed classes.
  • 400-level Bus Adm courses: To enroll in 400-level Bus Adm courses, you must be advanced to your major. No exceptions can be made.

Double-check the notes section in PAWS for pre-requisite, co-requisite, or reserved section information. If you still think you should be eligible to enroll, please contact your academic advisor.

When will I be advanced to my major?

Once final grades are posted and all advancement to major requirements are satisfied, an Advanced to Major milestone will appear on your PAWS account (on the ride side of your Student Center page under Milestones). Advancement to the business major is an automated process, and students are notified via email of their advancement to major status.

If you have any questions about your advancement to the major, please schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.

When is the best time to apply for internships?

Internships are typically completed during a student’s junior or senior year. Students should start searching and applying for internships as much as six months prior to their desired start date, or in the semester prior to that during which they will complete the internship. If you wish to pursue an internship for credit, you must also gain approval from Lubar’s Career Services office before the internship begins. Please reach out to a career advisor at for more information.

I am graduating next semester; what should I do?

Check out our Graduation Checklist for next steps!

What happens to my GPA if I repeat a class?

Once you repeat a course, the old grade gets removed from your GPA. It may take a week or so for PAWS to be updated after your repeat grade is posted. Make sure to meet with your advisor to discuss any GPA concerns and repeat options.

What do I need to know if I want to take a class at a different institution and transfer it back to UWM?

If you are interested in taking a course for credit at a different college or university to transfer back to UWM, you should discuss with your Lubar Advisor. It is important to understand credit transfer policies before you take a class at another institution. Your Lubar Advisor can guide you on options and the process for how to transfer credits back to UWM, if applicable.

I need to dispute my final grade, what can I do?

The formal grade dispute process beings with a conversation between you and the instructor. If an agreement cannot be made, you would then need to schedule a meeting with the Assistant Dean. To do so, please call 414.229.5271.

What is academic probation, dismissal, reinstatement?

From the University Catalog,

The University-wide Academic Action Policy establishes minimum standards for undergraduate students enrolled in schools and colleges. Individual schools and colleges may adopt stricter criteria; students should consult the school/college advising offices for specific information.

A student whose GPA falls below minimum university-wide standards for any grading period will be subject to the following academic actions.

  • Academic Probation: Imposed on students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.000. The student on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.000 or better, but whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.000, is permitted to continue on academic probation.
  • Cleared Probation:Achieved when cumulative GPA increases to 2.000 or above.
  • Dropped for One Semester:Imposed on any student on academic probation who fails to earn a semester GPA of 2.000.
  • Final Probation:Applies to a student who is permitted to enroll after any drop action. The student on final probation whose semester GPA is 2.000 or better, but whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.000, is permitted to continue on final academic probation.
  • Dropped for Two Years:Imposed on any student on final probation who fails to achieve a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.000 or better.
  • Re-instatement/Re-admission:A dropped student may be re-instated immediately after a drop action or re-admitted after the drop period. A re-admitted or re-instated student is placed on final probation.


If you have further questions about these policies, connect with your Lubar Advisor directly.