Welcome to the Biological Sciences Department, everyone! We’re looking forward to welcoming you all to the university, and are sorry that you’re starting your graduate studies at a time with so much uncertainty. The Biological Sciences new graduate student orientation will be virtual, to discuss the Biological Sciences program, answer any questions you may have and virtually meet all of you! All other new student/employee orientations and trainings will be virtual as well, and we’ve included links to each of these below. The Graduate Organization of Biological Sciences is also holding an informal in-person social event on Friday, August 27th, from 12:00 – 2:30 pm.
Biological Sciences New Student Orientation Information
- Wednesday, August 25th 10:00 – 11:30 AM CST Click here to join the orientation
- 10:00 – 10:30 AM Introductions
- Dr. Gerlinde Höbel (Bio Sci Graduate Program Representative)
- Rhianna Miles (Bio Sci Graduate Program Assistant)
- Hossein Asgari
- Joey Cannizzaro
- Anna-Christina Crisman
- Hailey Davis
- Katrina Degenhardt
- Vy Huyen
- Morgan Klingbeil
- Lauran Liggan
- Kimberly Mayer
- Madison Mitchell
- Shreyashi Mitra
- Mahmuda Monsur
- Madeline Opie
- Chandika Rani Ganesh Babu
- Madison Rittinger
- Alyssa Sanchez
- Brielle Shortreed
- Kennedy Stacy
- Gabriella Voit
- Hannah Warner
- James Woods
- 10:30 – 10:45 AM Program Overview & Guidelines
- 10:45 – 11:00 AM Discussion with GOBS (Graduate Organization of Biological Sciences)
- 11:00 – 11:30 AM Q&A and Closing Statements
- 10:00 – 10:30 AM Introductions
Fall 2021 Virtual Orientations & Trainings Schedule
- Wednesday, August 18th
- New International Students Only: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm CST – International Student Orientation (Virtual – Please Register Online) – if you’re deferring your admission, you do not need to attend
- Monday, August 23rd
- 9:00 am – 4:30 pm CST – Teaching Assistant Orientation, presented by the UWM Graduate School and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) (Virtual – Please Register Online) only required for new Teaching Assistants – if you’re deferring your admission, you do not need to attend
- Wednesday, August 25th
- 10:00 am – 11:30 am CST – Biological Sciences New Student Orientation (Virtual) if possible, we would love for you all to attend, even if you’re deferring your admission
- 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm CST – Chemical Hygiene and Safety Training, presented by University Safety and Assurances (Virtual) only required for Teaching Assistants – if you’re deferring your admission, you do not need to attend
- 2:30 pm – 3:15 pm CST – Norris Health Center Presentation (Virtual) strongly recommended for all students, whether you’re starting in the fall or spring semester
- Thursday, August 26th
- 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm CST – New Graduate Student Orientation, presented by the UWM Graduate School (Virtual – Please Register Online) if possible, we would love for you all to attend, even if you’re deferring your admission
- Friday, August 27th
- 12:00 pm – 2:30 pm CST – Graduate Organization of Biological Sciences Picnic (In person – Outdoors behind the Lubar Welcome Center, near Lapham Hall) there will be burgers, veggie burgers, chips, snacks, sparkling water and soda. Masks are encouraged, but not required, according to current university policy for outdoor events.
- Tuesday, August 31st
- 10:00 am – 11:30 am CST – Benefits Review Session (On Campus – Please Register Online) – not required, but strongly recommended for all new employees. As a reminder, all new employees have to apply for benefits within 30 days of August 23rd (the start of your contract)
Online Asynchronous Trainings
- Biological Sciences Department Safety Training and quiz (required for all students/employees working in labs)
- Biosafety Training (required for new Teaching Assistants)
- UWM Graduate School COVID-19 Information
- Fall 2021 semester updates about classes, enrollment, research, graduate assistantships, housing, etc.
- Center for International Education (CIE) COVID-19 Updates to Students
- Fall 2021 semester updates for international students
New Employee To-Do Items
- ASAP: Schedule appointment to complete I-9 employment authorization and other hire documents.
The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee has a centralized on-boarding process with campus Human Resources. You can click here to request an appointment to complete your I-9 and submit paperwork.
- Submit your Benefits application. You have thirty days from your start date (8/23/21) to submit your benefits application. Click here for more information.
- If you’ll be on campus, review parking and transit information here.
- There are several options for parking on campus, including Pay by Phone Parking (Parkmobile), Ride Sharing, Staff Permits, Prowl Line (campus shuttles), discounted Milwaukee Country Transit bus passes, and more. For complete information, please see the Parking & Transit website.
- We will send information about scheduling your student photo, at the beginning of the semester.
- Biological Sciences Main Office (Lapham S181)
- Print/Copy Information
- Location: Lapham S182
- Copy Code: I’ll send individual copy codes as the semester approaches
- If you will be working on campus, we will issue keys for you to access labs. You can work with your advisor to make sure we issue the proper keys.
- You will have a mailbox in Lapham S181.
- My UW System
- The My UW System portal gives you access to your payroll, absence management, benefits, and etc. portals.
- GOBS (Graduate Organization of Biological Sciences) Break Room
- You will have access to the GOBS room (LAP S197) to sit between classes, study or attend GOBS meetings.