Transition to UWM

The Transition: Differences Between High School and College

There are differences between the accommodation process in high school and at the post secondary level. These differences are a result of the laws that govern the provision of accommodations at the secondary and post secondary levels. The most important difference between accommodations in these two settings is the much greater emphasis on personal responsibility and self-advocacy. At the college level, students must discuss their accommodation needs with instructors and take responsibility for making arrangements for their accommodations. Some accommodations allowed in high school may not be appropriate at the post secondary level.

ARC recommends that new freshman or sophomore students take a course to enhance their academic success strategies and their knowledge of campus resources.  The School of Education offers several courses each semester that are perfect for UWM first year and undergraduate students looking to make the most of their time in college.  These courses are open to all UWM undergraduate students, and many courses can be taken for GER credits.  Course listing are available from the School of Education website, Courses for UWM Undergraduates and First Year.

The following online resources and websites can assist with the transition process:

Going to College: A resource for teens with disabilities

Transition Year: Your Source for Emotional Health at College

Department of Education Office for Civil Rights

Wisconsin Transition

NTCAT Differences Between Secondary and Postsecondary Accommodations