Read&Write is an award-winning literacy software designed in line with Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles. UWM faculty, staff, and students can install and use Read&Write software at no personal cost.
With Read&Write, users can:
- Convert inaccessible text to accessible text through the optical character recognition (OCR) process.
- Record and save short audio files, insert audio files into Word as a comment or directly into the Word document.
- Create vocabulary lists with images and dictionary definitions that can be read out loud.
- Use color highlighters to select text for summarizing and categorizing in a new Word document.
- Simultaneously read and listen to text being read out loud with dual color highlighting.
- Improve focus with screen masking and tinting.
- Listen to articles and other readings by converting the text into an MP3 audio file.
- Scan paper documents and convert to accessible PDF or Word formats.
- Utilize an advanced spellchecker and word prediction.
Install extensions for browsers and software for laptops from Texthelp Read&Write for Education. Click on the Try Read&Write button. Login with your UWM ePanther ID and password to access premium features.
Read&Write Learning & User Resources
Link to reference guides, training guides, user guides, and support videos.
Read&Write Reading & Study Strategies
Link to YouTube videos describing how to use Read&Write to support reading and study strategies for higher education students.
- Active Reading Study Strategy
- Adding Visual Images to Your Study Materials
- Audio Maker Study Guide for Self-Quizzing
- Learn Content in a Foreign Language Using Audio Maker
- Self-Quiz Using the Screen Mask Tool
- Strategic Highlighting
- Study Guide, Word or Phrase Bank Study Strategy
- Two or Three Column Notes Study Strategy
- Vocabulary Lists Study Skills