Students with documented long-term or permanent disabilities or serious medical conditions may request housing accommodations. To be eligible for housing accommodations the student must have a disability as defined by the ADA (a condition that represents a substantial limitation to one or more major life activities), the disability must necessitate adjustments to the living environment, and medical documentation must be provided.
Procedure to Request Housing Accommodations
- Complete the standard UWM Housing contract including your room preferences.
- At the same time, complete the Housing Accommodation Request Form (pdf opens in a new tab). Submit this form to University Housing.
- You must submit an online application with current and complete medical/psychological documentation directly to ARC to support your request. Forms are available on our General Documentation Guidelines page. To open a new tab and begin the application process, please click “Request Housing Accommodations” below.
- The Accessibility Resource Center will review the housing request and University Housing will inform the student of the decision.
Submit documentation through the online application. See “Request Housing Accommodations” below.
Submit all forms by mail to:
3400 N. Maryland Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53211
Submit all forms by email with subject “Accommodation Request” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit all forms by fax with “Housing Accommodation Request” label to: (414) 229-2237. The documents MUST be labeled with the “Housing Accommodation Request” label.
Please note: Failure to provide adequate documentation will result in a denial of your request. Requests without supporting documentation will not be reviewed.
Prospective students and UWM students, who are not yet registered with the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) may apply for housing accommodations through an online application.
Click “Housing Accommodation Application,” below to open a new tab and begin the application process.
UWM students who are registered with the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) may apply for housing accommodations by completing the Housing Accommodation Request Form.
Click “Housing Accommodation Request Form,” below to open a new tab and complete the form.
Special Dietary Requirements
Special Dietary Requirements should be referred to Restaurant Operations. Visit their website at https://uwm.edu/dining/.
Students with special dietary needs should complete the Food Allergy & Special Dietary Form at least 3 weeks prior to the first day of scheduled classes.
Denial of Requests
Housing requests are most often denied for one or more of the following reasons:
- Documentation was not provided.
- Documentation does not indicate a substantial limitation to a major life activity (student does not have a disability).
- The disability-related need does not require an alteration to the living environment. For example, students with ADHD, learning disabilities or psychological disabilities who request a private room in order to have a quiet place to study can meet this need through using other campus locations that are suitable for quiet study.
- A student makes a late request for a room that is no longer available. Housing should be contacted as soon as possible for accommodation requests.
Reviewed: June 2018