Getting Started – for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students

A guide to Obtaining Accommodations for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students

  1. Fill out a Prospective Student Form located in Mitchell Hall 112.
  2. Send your documentation to the Accessibility Resource Center. Refer to our documentation guidelines.
  3. Call or email Jason Anderson to schedule an appointment to discuss your needs and develop your Verified Individual Services and Accommodations plan, or VISA.
  4. If your VISA calls for an interpreter, captionist, or other similar service provider, you and your counselor will fill out an Accommodation Request Form, or ARF.

After your initial meeting with your ARC counselor you will need to do the following:

  • Build your advocacy skills every semester by sending your professors an email asking for captioned media (template provided)
  • Renew your ARF every semester
  • Renew your VISA every year.
  • Notify your Counselor in ARC at least four weeks before the start of each semester of accommodation needs to help ensure that service providers can be scheduled for each of your classes.
  • Make an appointment with each of your instructors before the start of classes to discuss your needs.

Documentation submitted to ARC is considered confidential and maintained separately from the student’s educational record.

Documentation should be sent to the following address:

Accessibility Resource Center
Attn: Jason Anderson
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413 Milwaukee, WI 53201

Fax to: (414) 229-2237
Email to: