Commit to UWM being an institution in which diversity, equity, and inclusion penetrate our culture and inform campus wide actions.
Increased capacity for the University to sustain diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts with full institutionalization of DEI practices into all levels of the institution.
Strategies and Actions
Two overarching strategies support DEI efforts, including development and implementation of the:
- DEI One-Year Action Plan;
- DEI Action Planning Workshops/Institute.
Progress to Date
The DEI team serve as members on each of the 2030 Implementation teams, ensuring the continued focus on DEI during planning stages.
DEI One-Year Action Plan
The team developed a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Action Plan in Summer 2021 and have been working on multiple initiatives identified in that plan. Highlights include:
- Completion an DEI Inventory identifying over 80 programs/initiatives/activities with a DEI component;
- Establishing the Strategic Faculty Hiring Fund to annually recruit three faculty from diverse backgrounds over the next five years;
- Toward an Anti-Racist Campus Action Grant Program (in partnership with the Office of Research) funding ten projects and sharing findings at a symposium (Spring 2022);
- In collaboration with the Affirmative Action in Faculty Employment Committee and Human Resources, helping to implement the suggested changes to the search and screen process;
- As part of retention efforts, supporting coalition building efforts with the African Diaspora Council, Asian Faculty and Staff Association, and Latinx Faculty and Staff Association. Events held include a Harvesting Community event (Fall 2021) and a Growing Community event (Spring 2022);
- In partnership with Human Resources, updating the Racial Justice and Equity Program and launching the enhanced version with new employees. A series of professional development opportunities for current employees has also been offered;
- Our Dialogue Across Differences Series (in collaboration with Student Affairs) hosted two campus events (Critical Race Theory in Fall 2021 and a session on free speech in Spring 2022);
- History book is forthcoming on contributions that diverse groups made to UWM (racial groups, women, LGBTQ+, ability, international, veterans/military-related).
DEI Workshops and Institute
The DEI team hosted workshops at the Department Chairs retreat in Summer 2021 with an additional two workshops in Fall 2021. Based on feedback from these workshops, the DEI Action Planning Institute was launched in Spring 2022. The six units involved with the institute participated in four workshops and were provided an overall process for DEI Action Plan development, data analysis tools, collaborative time to work within the teams, time for consultation and feedback. At the completion of the institute, units presented their individualized action plans and/or additional steps they will take to finalize plans. Tools for units were also made available through the Division of DEI website.
- On-going initiatives within and building from the One Year Action Plan.
- Providing tools/resources for units and department.
Key Relationships with Other Teams
Timeline – Synopsis from the Co-Leads
|Spring 2023||Using materials developed as part of the DEI Action Planning Institute, the DEI leads are hosting workshops specific to units that have requested their assistance. Key outcomes from the workshops will include a plan with actionable steps.|
|Continued support for units from DEI staff with tools/resources made accessible via the 2030 and DEI websites. Launching of the 2022-2023 Mosaic Academy. DEI Champion awards.|
|Consideration of DEI Fellows to continue DEI efforts campus-wide. Preparing tools/resources to be accessible via the 2030 and DEI websites.|
|On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan. Ran/directed final seminar of the DEI Institute.|
|Presentation at the Faculty Senate (April 21, 2022). On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan. Ran/directed DEI Institute seminars.|
|On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan. Ran/directed DEI Institute seminars.|
|Development and planning for the DEI Institute. On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan.|
|Team developing a DEI Institute to facilitate the development of DEI action plan for units/departments, building off of the workshops that they had held in the fall. On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan.|
|December 2021||Reviewed participant feedback from workshops. Developing tools/information for units/departments and posting on website (8-Step Framework) On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan.|
|November 2021||Hosted two sessions for units and departments. On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan.|
|Hosted workshops to faciliate DEI Action Plan in units/departments. On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan.|
|September 2021||Reviewing & synthesizing responses to DEI survey from summer. DEI team part of monthly check in meetings with all implementation teams. On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan.|
|One-Year Action Plan finalized. Presented at the Chair’s Retreat and led workshop (August 24, 2021) On-going implementation of the One-year Action Plan.|
|Monthly meetings set up and initiated with the implementation team lead (Chia Vang) and Special Assistants (Becky Freer and Wilkistar Otieno).|