Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab (OWL) is an excellent wide-ranging resource to address many writing issues.
- See the Class Visits page for more information on scheduling a class visit any time during the semester.
- Send requests to email@example.com. Include your campus mailbox address and desired quantity.
Style Guides and Tutorials
- Documentation Style Guides – AP, APA, MLA, Chicago styles, and more
- UWM Graduate School Formats – Master’s Thesis and Doctoral Dissertation Format Requirements from the UWM Graduate School
- Curriculum Vitae and Related Topics – (from University of Virginia)
- Citation Styles and Avoiding Plagiarism – Includes information on when to cite sources (from UWM Libraries)
- UWM’s Academic Misconduct Policies – Includes information on plagiarism
- Questions about Plagiarism – Includes explanations of why, when, and how to use sources (from University of Auckland)
- Avoiding Plagiarism – Includes what plagiarism is and how to avoid it (from the Purdue OWL)
- What is Plagiarism? – How to recognize plagiarism (from Indiana University of Bloomington School of Education)
- Toward a Rational Response to Plagiarism – Rob Jenkins discusses plagiarism (from The Chronicle of Higher Education, 2011)
- Designing Essay Assignments – (from Harvard University)
- Peer Review Tips – (from Highline Community College)
- Writing Across Borders – An award-winning film about international and ESL writers’ issues, e.g., varied cultural approaches to writing. Written & directed by Wayne Robertson, Oregon State University. (Link to first of three movie clips, total 30 min.)
- Writing Across Disciplines: “Department by Department Guide,” Marquette University – (Note: This Guide was created by and for Marquette University. While this guide is useful for discussion, UWM students should always give precedence to their UWM teachers’ assignments, instructions, and expectations.)
- Support Group for Dissertators and Thesis Writers – Contact JoAnne Graham, Ph.D., Norris Health Center, 414-229-5144
- Center for Instructional and Professional Development – Information on professional assistance including writing-related issues
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- See the Frequently Asked Questions page for answers to commonly asked questions about the Writing Center.