The Women’s & Gender Studies annually administers the following scholarships:
Women’s & Gender Studies Scholarship
Amount: One (1) $1,000 scholarship to be awarded annually.
Florence L. Healy Scholarship in Women’s & Gender Studies
Amount: Two scholarships will be awarded each year up to $2,500 each.
Guidelines and Application
- Open to full-time undergraduate students who have achieved sophomore, junior, or senior status, or graduate students whose research interests focus on women’s/gender/feminist issues.
- Applicants must have demonstrated financial need. As part of the application, applicants must submit either a copy of the previous year’s tax return or send a request to the Department of Financial Aid to release their (i.e., the applicant’s) financial information to Women’s & Gender Studies (a form for this option is included with the application). All information will be kept confidential.
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA. A copy of school transcripts is required. For UWM students, unofficial transcripts are acceptable and available free of charge in Mellencamp Hall, Room 274. Newly admitted students should submit appropriate documentation of prior education.
- List two references who can speak to your academic performance and/or educational and career goals, at least one of whom must be a faculty member (unless you are a re-entering student and have not been enrolled for more than five years). Letters should be sent directly to Women’s & Gender Studies at the address listed below.
- Applicants must submit a typed personal statement of no more than 250 words. Your statement should describe your educational and career goals, and should explain how a Women’s & Gender Studies Scholarship would address the financial obligations associated with meeting those goals.
- Applicants must submit a completed application form. Applications are available in the WGS main office, Curtin Hall 535.
Preference will be given to:
Students who have completed at least one Women’s and Gender Studies course (WMNS or WGS).
April 27, 2016
Return Application to:
Women’s & Gender Studies Scholarship Committee
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Women’s & Gender Studies
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413