This is a semester long program (offered every Spring semester) that prepares participants to instruct Group Exercise Classes: cardio based classes, muscle conditioning classes and kickboxing classes.
- Informational Meeting: Friday, December 2, 2:00-3:15pm, in Klotsche RM 104.
- If interested in applying for this program, must attend this meeting.
- Thinking about joining, but not sure? Attend this meeting to learn more. No obligations to sign-up.
- Come dressed to participate in an exercise class (athletic shoes and clothing that allows for full-range of motion).
- Spring Training sessions are on Fridays, 2:00-4:00p.m., January 27-March 10, 2017. Participants must attend every training session.
- Team teaching will occur 1x/week March – May.
- Must be a current UWM student.
- Must be a UWM student for at least one full year post completion of the training program to be eligible to teach for UREC at UWM.
- To gain knowledge and practical experience in teaching the basic components of a group exercise class.
- To become familiar with the responsibilities of a UWM Group Exercise Instructor.
- The program cost is $75.
- Phase 1 – Apply. Those interested in participating in the training program MUST attend the mandatory informational meeting in order to apply.
- Phase 2 – Attend all 7 weekly lecture/practical sessions. This will give you the base knowledge needed to construct and teach a safe and effective Group Exercise Class.
- Phase 3 – Participate in 6 weeks of team-teaching. Team-teach (1-2x per week) with an experienced UREC instructor/your mentor, to gain more practical knowledge and teaching experience to prepare you for the specific class you wish to teach.
- Phase 4 – Audition. You will be asked a few questions and will also be asked to demonstrate a full Group Exercise Class. If you pass Phase 4, you will be hired as an instructor for UREC.