This is a semester long program (offered every Spring semester) that prepares participants to instruct Group Exercise Classes: cardio based classes, muscle conditioning classes and kickboxing classes.
What our Program Participants have said:
“Group X instructor is the best job I’ve had. I love seeing participants come back to my class weekly, as well as seeing them improve. The training process wasn’t a “competition for the job”, instead everyone was accepting, friendly, and wanted me to succeed. The training process effectively eased you into teaching a diverse, modifiable class for all participants. All in all, I highly recommend becoming a group x instructor!”
– Danielle, Sophomore in Industrial Engineering
“From the Group X Instructor program, I learned how to illustrate the importance of fitness and how it can be achieved through a variety of diverse ways. While instructing, I’ve learned to adapt quickly, provide the understanding for why form and technique is important, and on top of all, let my personality shine through to make my class empowering, high-spirited, and fun.”
-Claire, Sophomore in Psychology
Spring 2017 Program Dates:
- Informational Meeting: Friday, December 1, 2:00-3:15pm, in Klotsche RM 104.
- If interested in applying for this program, must attend this meeting.
- Thinking about joining, but not sure? Attend this meeting to learn more. No obligations to sign-up.
- Come dressed to participate in an exercise class (athletic shoes and clothing that allows for full-range of motion).
- Spring Training sessions are on Fridays, 2:00-4:00p.m., January 26-March 9, 2018. Participants must attend every training session.
- Team teaching will occur 1x/week March – May.
- Must be a current UWM student.
- Must be a UWM student for at least one full year post completion of the training program to be eligible to teach for UREC at UWM.
- To gain knowledge and practical experience in teaching the basic components of a group exercise class.
- To become familiar with the responsibilities of a UWM Group Exercise Instructor.
- The program cost is $75.
- Phase 1 – Apply. Those interested in participating in the training program MUST attend the mandatory informational meeting in order to apply.
- Phase 2 – Attend all 7 weekly lecture/practical sessions. This will give you the base knowledge needed to construct and teach a safe and effective Group Exercise Class.
- Phase 3 – Participate in 6 weeks of team-teaching. Team-teach (1-2x per week) with an experienced UREC instructor/your mentor, to gain more practical knowledge and teaching experience to prepare you for the specific class you wish to teach.
- Phase 4 – Audition. You will be asked a few questions and will also be asked to demonstrate a full Group Exercise Class. If you pass Phase 4, you will be hired as an instructor for UREC.