University Recreation is one of the biggest student employers on campus, offering a wide variety of jobs such as Group X instructors, Lifeguards, Intramural officials and Desk staff. University Recreation employees enhance the quality of life for the UWM community by providing opportunities to develop and maintain healthy lifestyles, lifelong learning, leadership skills and personal success through comprehensive recreation and wellness programs in quality facilities. The positions offered provide flexible scheduling as well as the possibility for advancement within the department. We are thrilled that you are considering employment with us!
“My experience while working at University Recreation has been great! Everyone here is so welcoming and overall just great to work with! I would most definitely recommend this job to others because you can’t beat the location, the flexibility, and the environment is very positive to be in!”
“I would definitely recommend this job to others! If you love being around a fitness and sport-like atmosphere this is the perfect job! I work around a wonderful and outgoing staff, which makes the job that much more enjoying to come to! They are also very good here with making your work schedule around your class schedule so it’s a good balance!”
“Working for University Recreation is a unique on-campus opportunity. The faculty, staff, and patrons are incredibly friendly. Any position at UREC provides students with the ability to sharpen their efficiency and attention to detail. Qualities that will be forever helpful in their developing careers. Plus, there is just something about sport and exercise that fosters a healthy, positive environment! Who wouldn’t want to be part of that?!?!?”
All Position Requirements:
- Must be at least a part time student
- Must be available to work 8-12 hours per week including occasional weekends
- Must demonstrate leadership, communication and customer service skills, as well as the ability to work with staff, students and members of a diverse background
- Must attend all UREC training and orientation sessions. Hiring times and availability vary in each area, therefore checking the website frequently is necessary when looking for a job! All vacant positions are listed below:
All applicants interested in applying for one or more of the positions above can fill out an online job application on the UW-Milwaukee Student Campus Jobs website: http://uwm.edu/careerplan/students-2/jobs-internships/pantherjobs/. Students are encouraged to submit a resume and any pertinent information in an attachment with the application. You will be contacted if chosen for an interview once your application has been submitted.
UREC Job Descriptions
- Lifeguard Training (American Red Cross LGT, r. 2000 or equivalent)
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer (American Red Cross or equivalent)
- Community First Aid (Included in LGT certifications or equivalent)
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE LIFEGUARD POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://app.joinhandshake.com/jobs/797101
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to be punctual and work variable hours as necessary
- Ability to communicate with swim lesson participants and their parents to coordinate lessons times around the open swim pool times
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance at all times
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE WSI SWIM INSTRUCTOR POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY:
CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor
- CPR instructors are required (at a minimum) to hold a valid Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers Instructor certificate, or preferably hold a Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certificate. The Lifeguarding Instructor certificate alone will fulfill both the required and preferred certificate requirements.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE CPR/AED/FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: http://uwm.edu/careerplan/students-2/jobs-internships/pantherjobs/
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE FITNESS ATTENDANT POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: http://uwm.edu/careerplan/students-2/jobs-internships/pantherjobs/
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE PERSONAL TRAINER POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/814253
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR POSITION, PLEASE CONTACT SARA LUELLOFF AT SJ@UWM.EDU, THEN VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/814955
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE INTRAMURAL OFFICIAL POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/797094, https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/797064, https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/797065, https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/797089
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE INTRAMURAL SCOREKEEPER POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/797096, https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/797114
Job Summary: The Operations Attendant position encompasses three different areas.
The Information Center staff serves patrons as a front-line representative of UREC. They control access to the Klotsche Center and Pavilion through use of the Membership Management System.They are responsible for monitoring the Klotsche Center and Pavilion for illegal entries and appropriate behavior of patrons.
The Equipment Room Worker must be able to use the Membership Management equipment check out system to check out and process rental fees as well as launder towels.
Facility Services Worker:
The Facility Services Worker serves our patrons by cleaning activity & other areas of the facility. The FSW assists with tasks and errands as needed.