The UWM community is a large consumer of goods and services. Anything from our choices of carpet to coffee has a great impact on our economy, society, and the environment. Where we choose to spend our $’s says a lot about who we are as an individual or institution.
From recycled content, to Energy Star equipment, to simple durability, UWM’s purchasing decisions are a part of the sustainability movement on campus.
Sustainable Purchasing Goals:
Purchase University materials and services based on these sustainable factors, whenever possible, meeting multiple qualifiers:
- Durable, form of the product is suited for its function to maximize its lifetime
- Product is made from pre/post-consumer or industrial recycled material
- Product can be recycled in the end, and the campus operations is set up to do so
- Efficiency of the product or machinery will save money by utilizing less water or energy resources over its lifetime
- Product is documented to produce significantly less toxins, preferably biodegradable
- Product is harvested or made within a 500 mile radius of UWM
- Product is shipped with minimal packaging (consistent with care of the product), preferably made of recycled and/or recyclable materials.
Purchase and monitor certified products that meet these standards, where they exist:
- ENERGY STAR
- Green Seal Certified
- NSF/ANSI 140
- Green Guard
- ISO 14000
- The Forest Stewardship Counsel
Currently at UWM
Paper- All copy paper purchases must be made of at least 30% recycled content at a minimum. All offices that undertake the Green Office Certification utilize 100% recycled content copy paper
Computers- The UITS offers only campus computers that are EPEAT, high-performance, environmentally preferable products.
Carpeting- Campus planners and purchasing agents have NSF/ANSI sustainable carpet choices available through the state contract. Many installations have taken place at UWM.
Cleaning Products- Green Seal Certified products are used throughout campus buildings as part of the CIMS green cleaning program.
Furniture- Refurbished furniture is available through a UW-Madison contract.