We encourage parents to provide support for their students as they navigate the process of joining a fraternity or sorority, and we hope that you will be involved, should your student choose to join. You can also learn more on our FAQ page.
What is my role as a parent?
- Ask your son or daughter how they would like you to be involved.
- Provide a listening ear, while encouraging them make their own membership decisions.
- Encourage them to keep their options open when they are looking for a chapter to join. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that everyone who is interested will receive an invitation of membership from the chapter they prefer most. However, there is a good chance that there may be a fraternity or sorority on campus that can be a rewarding part of their college experience.
- If you are assisting your son or daughter with the financial costs of membership, ask them when and how you should expect to receive a bill, and how payments are scheduled and processed. Some chapters utilize online billing or a paper process. Many one-time dues are paid during the first year, so expect the first year to be most expensive.
- Participate in parent weekends and fraternity and sorority events planned by some of the chapters at UWM. This is a great way to learn more about an important aspect of you son or daughter’s life on campus.
- Encourage your son or daughter to be a part of the University community and take advantage of its many resources and opportunities.
- If your son or daughter is struggling with managing the time commitment or other aspects of membership, encourage them to reach out to the chapter leadership or Student Involvement.