Finding the Right Match
We are glad that you want to get involved at UWM but before you jump in feet first and start a new student organization please ask yourself some questions:
- What am I looking for when I get involved, i.e. meet new friends, do something new, help the community etc.?
- Do I know the goals and objectives of the group and what affiliation it may have with off-campus organizations?
- What time commitments are expected?
- What are the financial obligations, if any?
- Was recruitment a “hard sell”? If so, why?
- Will membership or involvement mean isolation from family and nonmember friends?
- Will involvement enhance or deter achievement of my academic and career goals?
It is important to remember that you could get “too” involved. Balance your school work, friends, family, and work schedules with your involvement opportunities so they complement one another instead of wearing you out. Choose to be involved if you are satisfied with your life’s balance, schedule and interests. Getting involved is easy, just pick up your phone and dial a number. If you need help or some encouragement feel free to call our office at 414-229-5780 our staff is happy to help out.
Types of Involvement
One day service projects, member of a student organization for a semester, attend on-campus events, doing a few activities off the Bucket List etc.
Being a member of a student organization for 1+ years, volunteering with the same organization for a year, interning, on-campus job, athletic team, music group, performance group, etc.
Short-term involvement opportunities are great for those who are not sure what they want to be involved in or if they do not have lots of time to spare at the moment. These activities can be as simple as attending one of our many campus events, joining an org for a semester or checking off an item from the UWM Bucket List. For more information on any of these opportunities such as joining an org please click one of the below links:
- Campus Events
- Student Organizations
- Community Service/Volunteer Projects
- UWM Bucket List
- Explore MKE
- Workshops and Projects at the Studio Arts and Crafts Centre
- Other Cool Spaces in the Union
Still not sure what to do?
Check out our What do I want to do today? flowchart and our #dostuff to help you choose your own adventure.
Mid-term involvement if for those who have dipped their toes into the pool of involvement and are ready to jump right in. These type of opportunities will need more time than just a day or two but they pay out with tons of great experiences, friends, and skills. If you would like more information feel free to click one of the links below:
- Leading a Student Org or Becoming an Active Member by participating in Leadership Workshops
- Joining a Team such as a Sports Club, Dance Team or Performance Group
- Internships/Undergraduate Research Assistantship and Campus Jobs
- Join a Campus Activities Board Committee
If you are in for the long haul and want to possibly develop lifetime relationships with people on campus then check out these opportunities:
If you struggling or need some encouragement feel free to call our office at 414-229-5780 or stop by our office Union 363. You can also talk to your RA and Mentor if you need help.