- Advising Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 – 4:30 p.m.
Undergrad walk-ins: Tue 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- Enderis Hall 11th Floor
2400 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee WI 53211
Phone: (414) 229-4852
Fax: (414) 229-5311
Enderis Computer Labs
- Mon-Thr 9:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Fri 9:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Rooms: 724, 740, 1024, 1040
How to Apply for the Social Work or Criminal Justice Major
- If you are applying for either the Social Work or Criminal Justice major, applications will only be accepted in the following periods: September 1 – October 1, February 1 – March 1, and May 1 – June 1.
- Social Work majors: You must apply to the major in order to begin your Field Placement. Field Placement has a separate application that can be found on the BSW Field Program webpage.
- Criminal Justice majors: You must apply the major prior to your last semester at UWM in order to apply for graduation on time.
Follow the Steps Below to Apply for the Social Work or Criminal Justice Major
- The Admissions Committee will only consider complete applications.
- STEP 1: Review all information below about the requirements to be admitted to the major. All requirements must be met at the time of applying (i.e., you may not have any requirements in progress at the time of applying).
- Completed English and Math proficiency requirements
- Junior standing (58+ credits)
- At least one full-time semester or equivalent at UWM
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher, including all transfer work
- Social Work majors: Completed 75 hours of approved volunteer or paid work experience in the human services field (must be experience from after high school and within two years of applying to the major).
- Criminal Justice majors: Completed Criminal Justice 150: Introduction to Criminal Justice Research.
- STEP 2: Social Work Majors: Complete the online Application for Admission to the Social Work Major. The application must be typed to be reviewed. The Supervisor Reference Form can be handwritten.
- Criminal Justice Majors: Complete the online Application for Admission to the Criminal Justice Major. The application must be typed to be reviewed.
- STEP 3: Email your completed online application to the Admissions Committee at email@example.com (may be emailed in either Microsoft Word or PDF format). In the subject line of your email, please type your full name and student ID number. Completed applications include a completed Application Form and typed Personal Statement. Completed applications will only be accepted via email.
- STEP 4: You will be notified via email regarding your admission to the major.
- Transfers: Upon admission, the UWM Registrar’s Office will evaluate and apply a student’s previous coursework (allow two to four weeks for this process). A student who transfers from a campus within the UW System or the Wisconsin Technical College System can transfer up to 72 credits toward a degree in the Helen Bader School of Social Welfare. Students transferring from a school within the UW System or the Wisconsin Technical College System can learn how credits may transfer by using the Online Transfer Wizard. Students transferring from other two- or four-year colleges can evaluate transfer equivalencies by visiting UWM’s Transfer Equivalency Database in the Registrar’s Office. As soon as they are admitted, transfer students should meet with a Social Work Department academic advisor to review transfer course equivalencies, discuss program requirements, and create an academic plan for coming semesters.
Forms and Downloads: