Writing for Publication
Publishing an article requires writing ability, a worthwhile subject, research of appropriate publications, editors and audiences, subject knowledge, timing, and some luck.
This course is about minimizing luck and maximizing the other components of an interesting, well-written article to better its chances for publication. The topics covered are appropriate for electronic and print.
Topics to be covered
- The process of contacting editors
- How to research publications appropriate for your articles or find publications for which you think you could write
- Researching websites and hard cover copies
- Meeting submissions requirements
- The pitch and, if required, how to write it
- The pitch is one of the most difficult kinds of writing
- Organization, length, style
- After the pitch, how to write the article
- Hooking your audience
- Crafting the opening sentence, probably the most important sentence in the article
- Obeying the word count instructions for the publication
- Keeping the article short, because short articles have a greater chance of publication than long ones
- Interviewing people for their insight and inclusion in the article
- Interviewing people for profile articles
- Writing titles
- You should write for the audience of a particular magazine and no one else
- Particulars of audience analysis
- Should you include visuals?
- Placement within the article
- Attachments to article for illustration purposes
- Adhere to resolution of dpi requirements for photos
- Working with a staff photographer
- Worthwhile conversations
- Editing and reviewing
- Adhering to deadlines and sending in the article as word documents or pdfs
All sessions are Face-to-Face unless otherwise noted.
Tue., June 7
Location: UWM School of Continuing Education
Register two or more people and receive $50 off of the current price per registration. Use discount code: GRP
Early registration discounts will subtract automatically from the fee if the registration is submitted prior to the deadline. All other discounts require the code in the left column to be entered on the registration form. Only one discount code can be entered on a registration form.
Enrollment Limit: 30
Program Number: 5050-8699
Registration Deadline: Tue., June 7Registration is Closed.