Project Portfolio Management: Tools and Techniques
Project portfolio management is essential to ensure that your projects and programs are supportive of your organization’s strategic objectives. In the portfolio management environment, there is a predefined process for selecting projects and a uniform process for evaluating their success. Learn the tools and techniques to establish and enhance project portfolio management in your organization.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Communicate key concepts and terms used in a portfolio management organization
- Discuss and analyze different portfolio management models
- Employ a process for implementing project portfolio management in your organization
- Develop and manage a personal project portfolio
• What is a portfolio?
• What is project portfolio management?
• Why is portfolio management important?
• Where do best practices originate?
• What difference does the industry make?
• What difference does the organization make?
• Do regulated industries have an easier time?
The Organization & PPM
• Determining organizational governance
• Establishing project governance
• Communicating the business case for PPM
• Identifying optimal versus best practices for PPM
• Creating a comprehensive portfolio
• Identifying the stakeholders
Implementing Project Portfolio Management Protocols and Practice
• What are the procedures and processes are critical to implementing a PPM process?
• How to create a project inventory?
• Developing criteria to evaluate projects
• Categorizing projects
• Developing a method to categorize projects
• Confirming project approval
• Establishing critical success measurements for PPM
• Establishing an organizational master schedule
Project Portfolio Management Models, Processes and Knowledge Areas
• Reviewing PPM knowledge areas & process groups
• Understanding project scoring models
• Identify key performance indicators
• Develop a ranking process for projects by category, criteria, budget or key performance indicator
Maintaining the Portfolio Management Protocol and Process
• Keeping up the protocol
• Managing the queue
• Reconciling results
• Continuing to reshaping the portfolio process
• Cancelling projects
• Dealing with pet projects
• Getting to strategic advantage
Project Management Foundations
Dates and locations to be announced.