Project Portfolio Management in a Multi-Project Environment
(Formerly titled: Project Portfolio Management)
Learn the tools and techniques to establish and enhance project portfolio management in your organization.
Project portfolio management is essential to ensure that your projects and programs are supportive of your organization’s strategic objectives. In the portfolio management environment, there is a predefined process for selecting projects and a uniform process for evaluating their success.
As a speaker, mentor, educator, consultant, author and project manager, Sandra is committed to working with people who want to create excellence in their life, whether at work, home, play or in their community. Sandra’s passions are project management and ... read more
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Communicate key concepts and terms used in a portfolio management organization
- Discuss and analyze different portfolio management models
- Employ a process for implementing project portfolio management in your organization
- Develop and manage a personal project portfolio
• What is a portfolio?
• What is project portfolio management?
• Why is portfolio management important?
• Where do best practices originate?
• What difference does the industry make?
• What difference does the organization make?
• Do regulated industries have an easier time?
The Organization & PPM
• Determining organizational governance
• Establishing project governance
• Communicating the business case for PPM
• Identifying optimal versus best practices for PPM
• Creating a comprehensive portfolio
• Identifying the stakeholders
Implementing Project Portfolio Management Protocols and Practice
• What are the procedures and processes that are critical to implementing a PPM process?
• Creating a project inventory
• Developing criteria to evaluate projects
• Categorizing projects
• Developing a method to categorize projects
• Confirming project approval
• Establishing critical success measurements for PPM
• Establishing an organizational master schedule
Project Portfolio Management Models, Processes and Knowledge Areas
• Reviewing PPM knowledge areas & process groups
• Understanding project scoring models
• Identify key performance indicators
• Develop a ranking process for projects by category, criteria, budget or key performance indicator
Maintaining the Portfolio Management Protocol and Process
• Keeping up the protocol
• Managing the queue
• Reconciling results
• Continuing to reshaping the portfolio process
• Cancelling projects
• Dealing with pet projects
• Getting to strategic advantage
"Program content was beyond my expectations! I liked the examples provided, real-time, real projects. Very relatable to my projects." — Carol Schmidt, ATI Forged Products
"Sandra is the best!" — Linda Woznicki, Aurora Health Care