Innovative Solutions for Plastic Part Production
Learn to overcome challenges facing the injection molding industry. Evaluate the needs vs. equipment (for injection molding). Present the selection of molds available and criteria for choosing them. Identify day-to-day issues that arise with the quality of injection- molded parts. Offer solutions and suggestions to help you in your injection molding arena.
Our goal will be to have you return to your organization with innovative ideas that will aid in producing higher quality, faster and more economical parts.
Who Should Attend
Plastic part designers, processing engineers, production managers, individuals involved
in production of unique parts, and engineers and managers involved in reducing
production time while maintaining quality.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Learn good molding practices and review scientific injection molding principles
- Understand problems with resins, processing, and machines
- Learn to apply innovation solutions to injection molded parts
Introduction & Course Outline Review
- Molding process particulars…Good molding practices
- Selecting an injection machine to meet or exceed your needs.
- Sizing the equipment list to the operation
- Auxiliary equipment needed
- Cooling systems
Review Scientific Injection Molding Principles
- Mold construction review (various types)
- Review injection mold types.
- What to expect from each mold type
- Limitations of each mold type
- Selecting the correct design (guidelines)
- Maintaining your injection molds
Product design issues
Designing to fit the need
Class Project Assigned (Individuals)
PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS
- What kind of issues can be machine related?
- Injection machine limitations
- What are common machine failures and how to prevent them
- Maintaining your injection machine
Processing / Plastic part problems
- Common issues (Gate Blush, Flow lines / Streaks, Hard to fill parts)
- Delaminations, Over packing, Excessive Shrinkage, Short Shots
- Splay / Silver Streaks, Surface Blemishes, Flash, Warpage
- Weak Weld Lines, Bubbles vs. Voids, Black Specks
- Determining root cause & solutions of each defect
- Correct selections vs. incorrect selections
- Fillers and additives
- Mechanical properties
- Common issues
- Preventing those issues in design
- Correcting them once they occur
- Don’t make matters worse by poor decisions
Final Class Project….Groups