Coaching Skills for On-the-Job Training
On-the-job training provides results and makes your learners productive in the most expeditious way possible. If you are responsible for training new and/or current employees, this course is for you. Leave with a complete strategy to set up an effective on-the-job training program back at the office.
Rodney (Buck) Hillestad is founder and president of Hillestad Learning Technologies, a training and development company specializing in training design and delivery, along with leadership/managerial, and team skills. Buck regularly delivers classes for the University of Wisconsin extensions and is ... read more
Who Should Attend
- Training and Development Managers
- Managers and Supervisors
- New or Experienced Trainers
- HR Professionals
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Select and prepare OJT trainers/coaches
- Work with supervisors for successful implementation
- Develop and/or select the best training materials
- Understand how to train the adult learner
- Set trainee prerequisites
- Provide effective feedback
- Evaluate performance
- Organize OJT program content delivery
8:30am – 12pm
- What is a Coach?
- Successful Coaching
- Coaching Readiness Self-Assessment
- Characteristics of a Good Coach
- The Coach/Trainee Relationship
- Establishing a Relationship
- Effective Communication
- Listening Skills
- Asking Good Question
- Giving Feedback
- Communication Skills Summary
12 – 12:30pm
12:30 – 4:30pm
- Coaching Adults
- Characteristics of Adult Learners
- Experience and Learning
- Effective Coaching
- Effective Assessment
- Coaching Checklist
- Steps to Successful Coaching
- Preparing a Training Outline
- Preparing a Training Outline Activity
- Part I: Job Step
- Part II: Group and Order of Steps
- Part III: Important Considerations
- Coaching Practice
- Practice Coaching Activity
- Coaching to Different Skill Levels Activity
Sessions include a morning and afternoon 15 min. break.
Lunch and snacks are provided each day. Discounted parking is also available for those who park in the adjacent Grand Avenue parking structure.
All sessions are Face-to-Face unless otherwise noted.
Wed., Nov. 16
Location: UWM School of Continuing Education
Instructor: Rodney (Buck) Hillestad
$375 if you register by Wed., Nov. 2.
$395 if you register after Wed., Nov. 2.
Enrollment Limit: 25
Program Number: 7710-9154
Note: The HR Certification Institute has pre-approved this activity for recertification credit towards the aPHR®, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi® and SPHRi® certifications. The content of the activity submitted has met the criteria of the Approved Provider Program. // Pre-approved by the Society for Human Resource Management for 7 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) towards the SHRM-SCP or SHRM-CP
Registration Deadline: Wed., Nov. 9