Effective Interpersonal Communication Skills
Learn about your communication style and how it affects others. Uncover your listening skills and employ strategies for motivating performance improvement and overcoming perceptual barriers.
Laura V. Page is an independent management consultant who works with for-profit and nonprofit organizations. Her focus is on communications, team building, leadership development, customer service and strategic planning. She is a frequent public speaker, instructor, executive coach and meeting ... read more
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Flex your communication style to improve understanding
- Apply techniques for managing difficult moments in sensitive conversations
- Listen actively when it’s difficult to do so
- Overcome perceptual and other communication barriers
- My Personal Development Plan
- Barriers to Learning
- Effective Communication
- Factors Affecting “Meaning”
- Goals and Values
- Perceptual Biases
- Non-Verbal Communication
- Using PACING to Build Rapport
- Communication/Behavior/Social Styles
- Utilizing Style Flex
- Gender Communication
- Perception Checking
- Emotional Intelligence
- The Ladder of Influence
- Communicating Non-Defensively
- Keeping Your Cool
- Non-directive Questions
- Reflecting Skills
- Five Kinds of Advice-Giving
- Giving Challenging Feedback
- Three-Part Message
- “Constructive” Criticism
- Dealing With Defensiveness
- Benefits of Feedback
- Descriptive Recognition
Program fee includes morning and afternoon refreshment networking breaks, lunches, instructional materials and discounted parking.
"Directly applicable to my responsibilities at work." — Greg Fisch, Director of Computer Operations, Julie Inc.
All sessions are Face-to-Face unless otherwise noted.
Thu.-Fri., June 22-23
Location: UWM School of Continuing Education
Instructor: Laura Page
$845 if you register by Thu., June 8.
$895 if you register after Thu., June 8.
Enrollment Limit: 30
Program Number: 5050-9654
Registration Deadline: Thu., June 22