Decision making is one of the fundamental responsibilities of every leader. A leader may have all the skills necessary to engage their workforce, manage their finances and operate their business, but if they make poor decisions, nothing else matters. Fortunately, decision making is a skill that can be learned, and that skill is the focus of this program.
Effective decision making is predicated on the leader using a repeatable process. Such a process will enable the leader to avoid the hidden traps of decision making, determine the appropriate person to make the decision and arrive at a business decision that implements the company strategies.
Who Should Attend
While this program is a part of the Advanced Leadership Certificate, leaders at all levels who make decisions daily will benefit from attending.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Prioritize decision-making opportunities
- Determine who should make the decision
- Categorize each decision by type
- Avoid the hidden traps of decision making
- Utilize a seven step decision-making process
- Practice the decision-making process in case studies
1. The importance of effective decision making
2. Prioritizing decisions
a. Role of the organization’s mission and vision
3. Determining who should make the decision
a. Group versus leader decision
b. Determining responsibility for decision
4. Identifying the type of decision to be made
5. Traps in decision making
b. Status quo
c. Sunk cost
d. Confirming evidence
e. Memory trap
6. Decision-making process
a. State the purpose of the decision
b. Brainstorm all possible alternatives
c. Determine the musts and wants
d. Evaluate the alternatives against the musts and wants
e. Choose the best alternative
f. Assess negative consequences
g. Make final decision
7. Case study practice
Dates and locations to be announced.